十四

Akira's POV

    I'm standing on the balcony from the night before, grabbing the railing. The morning air is crisp and the birds are chirping.

   I'm waiting for Xiao to return. I can't guarantee he will come, but I have a feeling in my gut.

   "Careful, slime. Any closer to that railing and you might fall," he warns from beside me.

   My eye twitches. "Slime? Is that really the nickname you gave me?"

  He says nothing, looking out into the horizon. His eyebrow raises a fraction and he turns to me.

  "Follow me."

                                        。。。。

   My cheeks burn. We're perched up in a small tree, and Xiao won't tell me why.

   But that isn't why I'm flustered. I almost fell a few minutes ago, and it alarmed him enough to support me.

   By support, I mean that his arms are wrapped around my waist from behind, and his chest is pressed against my back.

  He peers over my shoulder to the road below us.

  "Are you going to tell me why we're here?" I say, fighting to keep my voice steady.

   Instead of responding, his hand slaps over my mouth. I tense.

    "Quiet. We're waiting," he whispers, barely audible.

   Now the only sound is leaves rustling in the gentle wind. I can't even hear Xiao breathing. If I couldn't feel his breath against my neck, I wouldn't think he was breathing at all.

  I fight the urge to push his hand away and turn my attention to the road.

  My sense of time slips away as we wait for what seems like hours. My knees are starting to hurt from being pressed against the tree bark.

  Then I hear it. The sound of garbled laughter.

   About to float past us are two abyss mages, Hydro and Cryo. I bite back a groan. What a terrible pair.

   Without warning Xiao pulls away and does a flip from the tree. I just hop off but my legs are stiff from sitting for so long, so I stumble when I hit the ground.

   Xiao summons his jade polearm, and I follow suit.

    The choppy haired male charges forward and dodges the thick icicle shooting at him. He's incredibly fast, but I chase after him.

   His polearm meets the shield of the Hydro abyss mage. "Submit," he growls. He slashes at the water shield, his blade infused with Anemo.

   Meanwhile, I plunge my own polearm into the Cryo shield. It barely makes a dent and slides off. I curse under my breath and jump back when the mage shoots another icicle, this time directed at me.

   I easily dodge it and attempt to break the shield again. Of course, it doesn't work.

   I find myself wishing I had a Vision, but I know I am incapable of having such a thing. The Archons can't gift a slime a Vision. No matter what form I take, my true form remains.

  The abyss mage disappears in an icy wind. I ship my head around, starting to panic. The mage is nowhere to be found.

   "Hehehe."

  Water splashes on me at the same time as an icicle smashes against my side. I'm instantly covered with a thin layer of ice.

The shock of the cold knocks the breath out of me and I fight to break the ice. It's useless, and all I can do is wait for Xiao to finish the monsters.

                                        。。。。

    The abyss mages lay dead behind Xiao, and he's staring at me in the ice shield.

   My cheeks flush from embarrassment.

   As if this situation wasn't already strange enough, he does something I never thought he would do in a million years.

   He..he smiles. It's not big, and it's barely noticeable, but it's definitely there.

  Then I feel more embarrassment, realizing that he probably found me being frozen funny.

  The smile is gone as soon as it appeared, and his hand rests on the ice. I hear cracking and see ice flinging around. A strong wind blows past me and I realize he used Anemo to break me free.

  It's silent for a moment, and I'm staring at my feet in shame. I left him to fight those mages alone when he no doubt brought me alone to back him up.

  Suddenly, his calloused hands take mine and press a cold object in it. A Crystal Core.

   "You are one of the few I can tolerate," he says, sighing. "Take this as a token of my gratitude."

   I don't know what to say. I stand there, surprised.

  He brushes past me, heading back towards Wangshu Inn. His expression is unreadable.

  Xiao's next sentence is barely audible.

   "It would look nice in your hair."

                                         。。。。

    Lumine scolds me like an angry mom when I get back.

   "Where were you, and why are you freezing? You could've gotten hurt!" she cries. "We're leaving for the Rite of Descension in a day, you can't be getting hurt before then."

   I awkwardly laugh as she pulls me into a warm hug.

   "I already lost my brother, I don't want to lose you too," she whispers quiet enough so Paimon can't hear. The said girl is eating a huge crab on the bed, munching away carelessly.

   I pat her back. "I won't leave you, I promise."

  She pulls away with a shaky breath and nods, unwavering trust in her eyes.

                                         。。。。

   A/n

   im thinking of not making childe a love interest at all bc ppl hate him so much 😭 idk what to do

also sorry for the shorter chapters i just love xiao so much and i don't want to get to the part where they leave so does anyone have ideas for him to pop up in liyue harbor

anyway i made a venti x oc story bc i'm bored