二十二

The locals up at this late hour give Xiao and I strange looks as we pass by.

I don't exactly blame them. We're visiting their village late at night and Xiao looks like some sort of super villain with his resting face being a permanent scowl.

I keep an eye out for Chongyun's bright blue hair, praying for some sort of miracle.

A sudden gust of freezing cold wind blows through the warm air, sending chills down my spine.

The wind rattles the branches it passes through and sends leaves on the ground flying.

A feeling of dread enters my body as I bite down on my nails. It only worsens when I can visibly see Xiao stiffen from the corner of my eye.

"Get down!" he growls, barley getting out the words before tackling me to the ground.

I almost don't notice the way he lands on his arm first to cushion the fall for me, and for a half second I can see a pained expression on his face.

Suddenly, a purple mist shoots above us and then slams into a cart of apples a couple of feet away from us.

My breath catches as I watch the cart be torn to shreds on impact, splinters scattering around on the pavement. An apple rolls to us.

I hear the locals screaming as doors slam, probably the sound of them going to hide in their homes.

Xiao's instantly on his feet, helping me back up. "What is that?" I ask, eyes wide with alarm.

Xiao, on the other hand, seem unbothered, maybe even annoyed. "An evil spirit. I'm no exorcist, so we'll have to wait until that boy shows up."

I don't have time to respond, as Xiao pulls me to his chest as the spirit shoots to where I was.

He curses under his breath, continuing to dodge the spirit with his arms wrapped around my waist.

Despite the life threatening situation, I can feel the way his right arm holds me looser than his left one. He must've hurt it bad earlier.

"Hold on for one more moment! I'm coming!" a voice calls, followed by the quick pattering of footsteps.

I pry my face off of Xiao's broad chest and turn my head. I catch a glimpse of blue and then an inhuman screech.

I pull away from Xiao, immediately looking to where Chongyun was, on top of the spirit.

In his hands were some sort of talismans made of ice, and when he slammed then onto the spirit's face, it disappeared instantly.

My shoulders droop with relief. "Thank you both for the help," I say with an exhausted smile. I could practically feel the adrenaline slipping away.

Xiao takes a couple of steps towards me, leaning down to whisper in my ear, "I trust you to take it from here, a demon has appeared near here and I must be going."

Disappointment is what I feel. Why am I disappointed that he's not staying longer? I purse my lips, trying to make sense of my feelings.

My hands travel to my pocket, pulling out a bandaid. I can feel my cheeks burn as I press it into Xiao's hand, who has a surprised look.

"I don't know how bad the injury on your arm is, but be careful with it, okay? This is all I can do about it for now, sorr-," he cuts me off with a pat to the top of my head, ruffling my hair.