十七

Akira's POV

   "Ma'am, would you be interested in coffin discounts?" a carefree voice says. "Buy one get one free."

  Startled, I whip around. There stands a short girl with high dark brown pigtails. Her porkpie hat is decorated with red plum blossoms and branches.

  A smile is on her face as she asks the question. In contrast to her upbeat tone, the question is dark.

  Brushing off her question, I grab her hand and pull her over to the door. "Please help me open this," I plead, dropping her hand. "My friend was taken into there, and she's trapped."

  The girl's eyebrows raise, and her grin widens. "I'll do it if you buy a coffin," she offers, placing her hands on her hips.

  My mouth gapes in disbelief. Is she serious? What does this have to do with coffins? But when I see the look on her face, I know it is,

  "Okay, I'll buy one," I say hesitantly, knowing how overpriced coffins are.

  A giggle escapes her throat and she puts a hand palm up. Suddenly, flames glow bright on her hand, the reflection of the dancing fire in the reflection of her scarlet eyes.

  Then she slams her hand on the wooden door, and I gasp loudly. The whole point of her helping was to not damage the door!

  Fire spreads throughout the wood, turning to ash and floating off in the wind. Then the fire stops abruptly at the doorframe. I'm confused for a moment, but then I remember that it's a vision made flame.

  Soon, the door is replaced by a pile of ash, that I step over easily to get into the building.

  The girl follows close by as I go further into the unlit room. I feel uneasy, as if something lurking in the shadows will jump out and grab at my ankles.

  "I must say," the girl says, breaking the tense silence, "you're soul is quite abnormal."

  I stiffen, freezing in place. She continues carelessly, if she sees my discomfort and panic, she doesn't care. "It's unlike a zombie or a human!" the lady says, excitement present in her voice.

  "I don't know what you're talking about," I respond quietly, forcing myself to take another step. In reality, my heart is racing.

  She takes a few steps toward me, placing her hands on my shoulder and standing on her toes until we're sharing air.

  "It's almost like a slime's soul, yet there's something different about it."

  My instincts kick in, and I shove her off. She stumbles back, easily regaining her balance. Her crimson eyes glow, like a predator looking at it's prey.

  It's my turn to back up, and I keep doing so until my back hits the wall.

  But it's not a wall, it's another door, and it creaks open when I collide with it.

  I turn, and see Lumine and the lady who kidnapped her in a room filled with vases.

  Relief floods Lumine's expression, and I dash forward, putting myself between the lady and the blond.