二十

Akira's POV

One day has passed since Lumine left to escape from the Millelith. Is she okay? Where is she?

All of these questions run wild in my mind, unanswered. I gnaw at the inside of my cheek nervously, glancing around the street.

A boy with light blue hair passes me, then stops abruptly. His head snaps in my direction, startling me.

The boy's icy blue eyes are fixed intently on me as he rushes over, excitement hanging in the air around him.

Before I can even get a word out, he grasps my hand with a cute smile on his face. I'm almost blinded by his positivity.

"Wow! Your energy is really special! Do you by any chance have experience exorcising ghosts?" he questions rapidly, excitement in his eyes.

"Wha-," I'm cut off as he drops my hand and starts apologizing with a blush.

"Oh, I'm really sorry about that!" he exclaims, waving his hands around.

I blink in confusion, rubbing the back of my neck. "It's fine, but no, I don't exorcise ghosts—wait, what was your name again?"

His expression is akin to a lost puppy after I break the news to him. "I see...I'm Chongyun, an exorcist."

I nod in sudden understanding. Then something catches my eye behind him. Blonde hair.

My heartbeat picks up the speed. "Well, I have to go now, see you later," I spew out, rushing around Chongyun.

It is her. Lumine, with Paimon floating at her side. They seem to be to immersed in an intense conversation to notice me approaching them.

"Lumine?" I say worriedly, tapping her shoulder. Her head turns, but she looks heavily annoyed.

But then she realizes it's just me, and her expression turns light. Her arms are instantly around me, and my face is against her shoulder. Lumine's scent is refreshing, vanilla and Windwheel Asters.

"Thank Barbatos your here, I was terrified the Millelith did something to you," she says, relieved.

"Agreed," Paimon chimes in.

"I was thinking the same thing about you," I admit, my arms snaking around her waist. I can hear Paimon murmuring something about getting a room being Lumine.

After a moment, we reluctantly pull away, and I can instantly tell something is up by the look on their faces.

Lumine can't meet my eyes anymore. "Akira..I.." her voice trails off, and she grips the end of her dress.

She looks to Paimon for help, but she disappears in a purple constellation.

I start to feel anxious. "Lumine?" I say weakly, reaching out for her hand.

But she pulls it back.

"I don't think it's best you accompany Paimon and I on our journey anymore," she whispers, tears gathering at the edges of her eyes.

My own eyes widen in shock in confusion. Sorrow swells up in my chest. "Did I do something wrong? I promise I'll make it up to you.."

"No, it's not that. Things are starting to get dangerous and I just don't want you to get hurt okay?" she admits, clenching her fists tightly. Passerbys give us strange looks at her outburst.

I suck in a breath. I wanted to explore with her. I really did. But alas, I don't want to make things hard on her emotionally or physically.

"I understand," I say, defeated. She finally lets me take her hand. "But please, come and see me every once in a while."

Lumine looks up at me with a soft smile. Tears run down her cheeks and pool at the bottom of her chin.

"Of course."

。。。。

I pull the blanket over myself, a yawn escaping my throat.

The second my head hits the pillow I can feel myself drifting away. This apartment was definitely worth the cost.

"Are you awake?" A husky voice says through the silence of the small, dark room.

"Yeah," I murmur lazily, rolling onto my side.

Wait a minute.

I shoot up into a sitting position and summon my polearm, breathing heavily. My eyes haven't adjusted to the dark and I can't make out anything.

"You dare aim a weapon at an Adeptus?"

"Xiao," I say breathily, getting rid of the spear. Relief floods my chest. "I didn't know it was you."

"Hmph." I can hear footsteps getting closer on the wood planks.

I'm starting to be able to see him standing beside my bed, his striking gold eyes cutting through the darkness.

"I'm in need of your assistance," he says looking down on me. But despite his intense gaze, I can see the desperation swimming in his eyes.

"I'll help," I say instantly.

A sigh of disbelief escapes him. "You really will place your trust in me that easily?" he asks, searching my eyes for doubt.

Then he runs a hand through his hair, shaking his head slowly. "What if it was someone else?" What if my intentions...were different?" As he says that, he places his index finger under my chin, lifting my face so it's perfectly aligned with his.

I'm really hoping he can't see my blush through the darkness. I gently remove his hand, smiling gently. "You're a good guy, Xiao. I trust you. Now, what do you need?"

The tips of his ears turn red and he turns his back to me. "I'll explain as we go. Get dressed and follow me."

。。。。
Xiao's POV

I resist the intense urge to bang my head against the door as I wait for Akira to change.

Stupid. Stupid, good for nothing except killing, Xiao.

Akira probably feels unsafe around you now. Uncomfortable even.

Yet she still agreed to come with me.

A light, airy, feeling enters my body. I lean against the door.

Am I feeling happy right now? Happy that she's coming with me. Happy that I can spend time with her.

I haven't felt this way in forever. Thank you, Akira.

                                            。。。。

a/n

ty for the new cover yuriu1409