二十三

Recap: Akira has a picnic with Zhongli and passes out from all the alcohol! Before blacking out she may have spilled her secret about her pills that keep her human.

。。。。
Akira's POV

A lazy groan escapes my throat, a dull headache awakening me from my sleep.

I almost instantly take notice of the satiny smooth sheets below me. Almost a bit to nice to be the ones at Wangshuu Inn..

I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to the situation with Diluc, and I have to double check that I'm not a slime, squishing my cheeks and staring at my very much human hands.

Then I look to the room behind my hands, and it definitely isn't mine. My brain starts to catch up with the situation as a panicky feeling in my stomach starts to set in.

Then I realize. This is Zhongli's room. He must've carried me to his place when I blacked out.

My shoulders loosen up as I slowly drop my feet over the side of the bed, taking in the bedroom.

I would bet money on the fact that if I took a magnifying glass to the floor, I wouldn't find a speck of dirt. The room was sparkling clean, smelling like the vanilla candle lit on the nightstand.

A soft groan from the oak door in the corner of the room opening makes me snap my head up.

Zhongli walks in, ducking slightly to fit under the doorframe, a platter of food in his hands. When he spots me, a pleasant smile appears on his face.

"You're awake. Excellent," he exclaims, taking a few steps forward and setting down the platter on the nightstand.

From this angle, I can see it's some sort of soup, steaming carrots adding a splash of color to the yellowish liquid it floats in.

I unconsciously scrunch up my nose from disgust at the look and smell, then realize how rude the gesture must seem. I force a poker face, plastering a smile on my lips.

"Oh, is this for me? Thank you," I say, imagining my smile to be something of a grimace.

Zhongli laughs, his voice as silky as the sheets below me. "I know how it looks, but it actually tastes great. It's an old recipe from a friend."

I take a hesitant gulp, raising a spoonful of the concoction up to my lips. Zhongli gauges my reaction.

My eyes widen. "Woah! You weren't lying, this is amazing. My headaches gone as well.."

"I'm glad to hear it." It's quiet for a moment before he continues. "You know, when I brought you in here Hu Tao spotted us. I've never seen such a worried look on that playful child's face. Once I explained the situation, she looked on the brink of tears from relief."

I instantly feel guilt for making her feel worried, setting down the bowl as my appetite had vanished.

Zhongli gingerly pats my shoulder reassuringly. "A quick visit to her should make things as good as new.  That young one just needs to see you healthy to be back to normal."

I'm at a loss of words at his kindness. First, he tends to me, then he gives me life advice. I sigh deeply. "I can't put into words how grateful I am to you. This time, I'm in your debt."

He shakes his head. "No, no. We both don't owe the other anything now, but if you are interested, I would like to continue getting to know you in the future."

I purse my lips, realizing he won't take no for an answer. So I reluctantly agree, still planning to give him some mora the next time we meet up.

                                          。。。。

I bring my coat closer to my shivering body, bringing my knuckles down on the door.

I knock once. Then twice. Nobody answers.

Then I clear my throat, calling out, "Hu-,"

I don't even finish my sentence before the door flies open, revealing a panting Hu Tao. Her shoulders bob up and down with every breath.

"You're here!" She exclaims, soaking in my shivering figure. She gestures for me to come inside her home, the rings on her fingers jingling. "You must be cold, come inside."

I obediently follow her to her living room, sitting down on one of the two couches in the room. The fireplace in the corner crackles, a calming repetitive noise that nearly lulls me to sleep once more.

Hu Tao sits next to me, hugging me tightly. "I'm so glad you're alright. I know you just fell asleep but I was so worried about you!"

I lean in closer, gratefully accepting the warmth she gives. "Thank you for caring, but you shouldn't worry over me. You have better things to worry about."

If I wasn't sitting so close to her, I'm sure I would've missed her next words.

"But with you around, you're the only thing I can focus on. You mean the world to me, and that means a lot coming from someone who's seen the afterlife this realm."

                                        。。。。

a/n

i'm determined to not be one of those ppl who go on hiatus for a year then come back to say their book is canceled so here i am

updates will be a bit slower but i'll try to slowly make them become more often <3