•ninety•

~~~~~Haerin

The reflection in the mirror has me frozen. I've never put myself down before, but I also don't think I consider myself beautiful. There's a woman looking back at me right now that is breathtaking. How is that me? Is it the makeup? Maybe it's the way my hair is held up by a sparkly, bejeweled headband... No... It's the look of pure joy sparking in the chocolate brown eyes looking back at me...

"Wow... Haerin, you look stunning!"

I tear my gaze away as my best friend comes through the door. His smile has his eyes disappearing, and he walks to stand beside me.

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you?"

"I'm sure... You stand with Jeongguk."

"Are you nervous?"

"Only that I won't be able to fit my dress..."

He laughs at my remark, but I'm completely serious. My tummy has grown daily for the last week... Unnie joins us, carrying the gown in question.

"Let's try it on Haerin... We'll get you into it."

Unnie's comforting voice, gives me some hope as I give myself an internal pep talk. Jimin turns away to not be a creep while I take off the robe and step into the dress that Naeun has pooled on the floor. As she lifts it and brings it up, I hold my breath. When the luxurious fabric is covering my body, the only challenge left is the zipper and the buttons up the back.

"It's not going to fit..."

I can't stop the negativity as I feel Unnie struggling to bring the zipper together. Jimin stands in front of me, and I laugh when he grabs the fabric at the side of my stomach and pulls it tight so the zipper can close. When it's done, I almost cry in relief.

"Hae... You are gorgeous... Jeonggukie is going to die..."

"I know what a sausage feels like... I hope the zipper doesn't break when I sit..."

Jimin continues to soothe me with his encouraging words as Unnie finishes closing the delicate buttons on my dress. When it's finished I see the tears in Jimin's eyes, and I have to slap his chest.

"Do.not Park Jimin... I can't cry yet! Go!"

I push him towards the door, and he laughs while he wipes away the moisture on his face. A knock on the door, has Unnie moving away to let them in. When I turn, I see my mother with the Jeons... Unnie comes to stand next to me, taking my hand.

"Haerin... You look beautiful. You take my breath away."

I'm happily surprised by the words my Mom says, and I smile genuinely at her. Mr. Jeon steps forward and hands me a small box. My fingers are trembling as I open it to find a beautiful bracelet. I feel tears prickling, but I hold them.

"This was my mother's... She received it from her mother on her wedding day. She gave it to my wife on hers... We would be happy if you would accept, and wear it, and then give it to Mi-Hi on her wedding day in the future."

Damn it... The tears I'm fighting break free, and before I know it, Mrs. Jeon steps forward, and pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry... I was wrong... And I hate being wrong, so I became stubborn... Will you forgive me?"

Hearing her shaky voice, I can't help but to understand.

"Of course I will... I only want to make your son happy."

She takes the bracelet from the box and attaches it around my wrist. Drops fall from my eyes looking at the delicate floral design with pearls and shiny stones. It's amazing...