Chapter Five

* * *

Sage almost didn't bring the twins today for lunch as Rue was being very fussy this morning. Leaving Kenzie to diagnose her with the early signs of a pup cold, and getting down the medication was bad enough.

She hardly slept which meant neither of her parents slept, making everyone cranky. Along with Ronan who was getting annoyed by his sister's constant cries of pain.

So Sage suggested that she take a walk around the packhouse, that the fresh air might be good for the pup or distract her long enough to forget the pain.

It seemed like the medication finally started kicking in and Rue sat in the grass, her pudgy hands taking hold of the grass around her as her mama kept her stable.

"Mhm-jaja."
"Are you singing Rue? It sounds very pretty." Sage said, taking a flower and putting it behind her own ear before deciding the Rue should have one as well.

It was a small secret that Sage would sing to the pups, especially when it came to songs about the goddess. And since Rue would look as though she understood every word of it.

Sage surely had a secret weapon, which worked on Ronan too.

"See the moon tonight
Smiling down on me
As I cast my circle of infinity
When the moon shines bright
Goddess calls to me
And I dance in the circle of her love
And I dance in the circle of her love..."

Rue wiggled and tried to clap her hands together, the almost two and a half weeks in skin surely allowed the twins more movement. But not enough to pick it over fur.

Sometimes they'd shift in their sleep, but Hayes claimed it was normal. And if they could do it in their sleep without crying and at will, it was a blessing that they were so in tune with the shift.

It made the new parents feel rest assured that there wasn't anything wrong on that end, and Sage was just thankful that Rue had stopped crying for a short time.

Her sobs were starting to sound hoarse, which brought Sage to always have a sippy cup of water at the ready. As they were finally allowed to be introduced to other types of food besides breast milk.

They were getting so big so quickly, Rue was even sitting pretty well on her own.

"Luna Sage?" The voice had taken her by surprise, and she turned to see a rather older fellow with four males just beside him. The stoic expression they had sent sirens in the back of her mind, so she smiled—Better to test the waters than jump in.

"Hello."
"We're with the council, Mrs.Moon. We need to ask you a couple of questions." Sage felt uncomfortable, and it didn't take much for the mystery set of males to think she was acting suspiciously.

"What kind of questions?"
"The kind that test to see if what has been said about you and your mate are true." The strangers took advancing steps, and Sage growled instantly. Her previous position of sitting was twisted as she was close to pouncing.

"Resisting a council member? That's against the law!"
"Stay back." Sage snarled, her voice mere seconds from her wolf joining the conversation. And no amount of words or logic could separate her mindset that these males were trying to get her pup.

They were strangers, they smelled unfamiliar—Yet the second her pup had started to cry. There was no hesitation left in Sage.

"Sage Moon, you're arrested for going against council policy and for refusing a council member's questions with a granted warrant. Get her!" Sage's eyes flashed to black, and she placed a hand down onto Rue.