Chapter Eight

* * *

"Sage?" Remus called out, and she left her water bottle and went to pick up Ronan before continuing off towards them. Had they planned this better and Nathan's arrival been announced, then they wouldn't have outed the twins.

Simply Ronan would've been enough to document for now, however it was the stares that the pup received that Sage did not like.

Nor did the pup as he pouted and cuddled further into his mama, but like how everyone's told her before—She needed a reason to hate someone. So she would wait for that reason and then attack it with everything she had.

"This is Ronan, and this is Rue." Sage introduced, and while the Luna's in the group—Who Sage couldn't identify all that well, all came closer and she took an instant step back.

"Rue has a pup cold, Sage has been jumpy these past few days—She actually caught the cold." Guilt flashed in the two Luna's eyes but the males remained passive.

"And we're supposed to believe this is your pup?" Alpha Calvin questioned, and while Sage was going to link Ronan—The pup seemed to understand well enough or was just fed up with the looks he was receiving because he shifted without being asked and started barking and growling.

Sage tried her best to soothe him, whispering that Rue was sleeping. But it was a slight comfort for either of them as Ronan was a fluffy ball and could fit much better beside his sister who was still in the carrier on her mama's chest.

"Now that I'm thinking about it...Did Alpha Harlow have to make sure his son was his?" There was a product of lies that followed, all mumbo jumbo that didn't really give Sage any reason to listen because she knew it wasn't true.

She had a feeling that Remus' warning on their pups being targeted was going to be a future fear for sure.

"As I told Alpha Hayes, we're here to take Alpha Nathan back for a full investigation—"
"There's no need, is there? There's nine of you here and Alpha Hayes, I think that's enough of a council vote to put an investigation through." Remus had already placed the order to get Alpha Nathan from the cells in the basement, and of course, the male complained as he was escorted out.

"Fucking pups, ruining our system left and right...Throwing me in a cage for goddess sakes." Sage turned to glare at the male and huffed.

"One night in cage...Must be hard."

Yes you beautiful beautiful wolf, that's the kinda sass we need! Let it rip!

"You listen here you little bitc—" The second the finger pointed in her face, the world snapped into place as Sage's eyes turned black once again and her teeth lengthened to pinch her lips.

"Step. Back. Now." She growled, and it was clear that the male did not listen for the second day in a row. So Remus placed himself in between the two, turning to the rest of the council members, and smirked.

"I'd like that on record as well Hayes, and I believe I found the punishment suitable for harassing my mate, twice, with my pups." The council waited to hear it, and the single word caused them to turn ridged.

"Alpha Remus that's—"
"Is it? You're a father, Alpha Calvin, so maybe you can explain it better to this male that newly made mothers are much more prepared to fight and defend themselves when their pup is involved or nearby. You even claimed that Alpha Nathan acted without proper cause from the council. Without a warrant. I'd think you'd want to rectify it just as much as me." The silence was only interrupted by the soft grunts from the pack's Enforcers just to the side of the packhouse.