Chapter Twenty-Seven

* * *

"Come on Rem, dribble dribble—fake it then...sink it!" The male teased, flawlessly showing what was learned at practice but Remus found himself huffing in aggravation.

"You okay, man?"

"No, not really. Mom's family in Grey Hallow is starting something again and Alpha's pretty pissed—Well, he's always pissed but I couldn't sleep last night. He was drilling me on strategy plans he wants to do." The sound of the ball dribbling caused him to grin in response as he threw his hands up as he silently called for the ball and threw it to the basket.

"Miss four practices and can still manage just fine, you know...I'm sure coach would have a few things to say if Alpha wouldn't be up his ass."

"And I'm sure if I wasn't the Alpha's son I'd be at practice. Thanks for showing me, maybe we won't fucking suck this game on Saturday." Remus claimed as he jogged off to the abandoned ball.

"Yeah uh—I might not be able to play this week, Alpha has me scouting. Games don't really mix in well with that schedule."
"Shit really? But we need offense this week."
"I know, but hey...Maybe I can trade, I'm leaving Thursday and could try and make it back."

"The hell is Alpha looking for out there?" Remus caught the grim face on his friend starting to darken and a shrug sparked.

"Dunno, whatever it is, I doubt it's good. But it's probably being overly cautious. That Rogue attack shook everyone up, Rem. We need to be prepared."

"You're right, sure next year I'll be in the same shitty boat as you." He teased all before heading off to his bag and throwing the male a water bottle.

"For your sake Rem, I hope you never do."

Remus' limbs refused to move, not until he locked the motion of reopening his palm and cutting it sloppily before managing the nob. He recalled that Jack said that there were a few more rooms that would be searched tomorrow before they left, but seeing a thin closest with a roundabout staircase, he couldn't handle himself.

The scent was as strong as his mother's as he took the metal steps two at a time, the stomping sound waking up the entire party from their light slumber off below.

However, Jack waved them off as he managed to take the search, a flashlight in hand as well. While Remus managed to the top attic door he was blasted with the pureness of his best friend.

"Andrew..." He whispered so lightly into the air.

What else was this building hiding?

Jackson assumed that Remus would be in his mother's room, especially after the last tortured yelling had gone underway when he was in the Alpha's room.

Yet he stopped in hearing the light sobs, one that he wished he wasn't accustomed to, but after this entire year as a whole since Sage became a magnet for bad luck.

A mate's worry would ensure overreaction, however, coming closer the Delta couldn't understand what else was hidden here. The smell didn't bring up any memories as he hadn't known the male as closely as Remus did.

Yet seeing the broken frame in his Alpha's hand, he realized that perhaps this was another room like his mother's. That he found something of hers.

"Remus? Hey...Are you—"
"He lied...He always told me he was scouting. He knew." The sentence was vague and didn't help Jack understand what else was uncovered here.

"Who lied?" The question rang in Remus' mind, but it couldn't formulate to make a response, and instead, he passed the frame to Jack and rubbed his palm to his brows. "Rem who is...Wh—"
"It'd Drew, he must've been working up here all those times he was scouting." His voice was breathless and full of sadness.