The World I Know

The World I Know (Title by Collective Soul)

"50-21 George, we're three blocks out, responding to assist on 22nd street," Jay answered dispatch right away.

It had been slow going this afternoon, so some action was very welcome. Hailey raised her eyebrows at him and drove as fast as she could.

When they arrived at the run-down house they saw a mint-white VW Van parked on the curb on the other side of the street. A patrol car had arrived before them and the officers were talking to someone standing next to the squad car. Long flowery skirt, green leather jacket, black hat and signature small leather backpack. Jay rolled his eyes and got out of the car, while muttering in Hailey's direction:

"Can't that woman ever dress like a normal person? This is not a fucking fashion show."

Hailey didn't comment on that, just laughed inwardly and found herself wondering what exactly it was about Rianne Torres Delgado, that got her partner so riled up every time. The woman surely was rocking that outfit.

***

***

Rianne had wanted to make a routine checkup on a family with several foster children in their care.

When she had gone up to the house no one had answered, although she had talked to the mother yesterday confirming the appointment. Normally she was a client Rianne could rely on, so this was the first thing that had been odd. Second red flag was that the two family cars were in the driveway.

"I don't know, maybe it's nothing, but I got a weird vibe. I'm sure something happened, but I didn't feel like playing hero and go in on my own, so I called 911." She guardedly eyed Jay while she spoke to check where they stood after their last encounter with her drunkenly poking him in the chest and telling him she thought he had a pretty face. Of course Nate had made sure to remind her about that grand moment of hers the morning after and the next following days. She normally wasn't easily embarrassed, but she herself hadn't known she thought of Jay as cute under any circumstances. A week had gone by without any other run-ins, so this was awkward.

But Jay was looking straight through her and keeping it professional to a peak. It was fine by her.

Maybe he'd forgotten all about it and she thought a little too highly of herself to even consider this would still be bothering him.

"Good, how many possible missing or endangered persons are we talking about?" Hailey inquired.

"6! Mr. and Mrs. Finley and four children. Three boys and one girl. The boys are 11, 14 and 8 years old, the girl is 10," Rianne elaborated.

"Right, Upton and I will take the front entrance, you guys take the back. We go in dark, no radios. Everybody waits for my command," Jay addressed the patrol officers, who quickly followed his lead.

Rianne hung back and waited, he didn't have to tell her to. She knew this wasn't her scene and had been living in Chicago long enough to know that nothing ever was not dangerous in these situations. Patrol left her in their squad car in case something happened, close to a radio, where she could call in further assistance if necessary.