Alone

35

Alone (Title by Whispering Sons)

"What are you doing here?" Jay bellowed at Nate

"I just wanna talk... have a friendly chat?"

"A friendly chat?" That guy really had some nerve.

Jay put his guard up higher.

"Yeah, a friendly chat just to kindly inquire what gives you the right to brain-wash Rianne, so that she won't talk to me anymore... dodge my calls, my texts... It's very unlike her. So I can't help but wonder what you might have said to her..." Nate's tone was nonchalant, like they really were having a friendly chat.

Jay didn't buy it for a second, they were anything but friends. Also he couldn't believe the twisted perception of the situation on Nate's side:

"Man, you can't be serious! Maybe you shouldn't have come on to her like you did and acted like a complete jackass for weeks! Ever thought about that? She makes her own decisions on who she talks to. She doesn't need either one of us for that!"

Not that he didn't have an opinion about it, but Jay hadn't exactly forced her into cutting ties with Nate. Though talking to him now only confirmed every suspicion he'd had about that guy from the very beginning.

"I was just being honest! For the record: she digs that... Honesty, you know? Or at least she used to." The other man was fumbling with a pack of smokes.

"Well, if that's what you wanna call it, fine. Now how about you respect her wishes, move out of her home and let her be?"

"How about you mind your own business, officer!" Nate casually lit the cigarette he'd extracted, blowing out smoke in Jay's direction, eyes fixating on him now in an increasing hostile manner.

"It's Detective!" Still Jay couldn't help but point that out every time.

He had earned that rank and he thought it was insulting to address him as anything less. Especially when guys who were currently challenging him did it.

"Whatever! Since you made a move on her she's been acting weird. She's been distant, emotionally unstable and now she doesn't even talk to me anymore, so I think you turned her against me. And it's just so wrong, because she needs me more than she knows. You're not doing her any favors by keeping her from me."

Jay openly laughed at Nate: "Look man, this is ridiculous. I'm not gonna have that conversation with you. She told you she's not in love with you and wants you to move out. She is with me now, so just quit the crazy act and let her live her life. If you truly were her friend you would just let her be happy."

It was like talking to a wall. How could one lose sense of reality like that? It was more like talking to a jealous and possessive ex-boyfriend than a so-called best friend.