Adrift

72 Adrift (Title by Jesse Marchant)

It was already getting dark when Rianne got out of the tub. She wondered when this feeling of being tainted and stained would finally wash away. When her heaviness would wash away. Right now it felt like she needed at least ten more baths or showers for that. Blindly grabbing for a large towel she didn't bother to turn on any lights. Somehow the twilight suited her mood. She felt incredibly torn and twisted! Caught between still sulky, defiant and petulant on one hand. Then again needy, helpless and weight down by guilt and remorse on the other.

When looking at her phone that she'd left on the laundry basket in their bedroom, Rianne saw that there were no new messages. Only old ones she hadn't answered yet, none of them from Jay. Her heart sank for the thousandth time in the last 48 hours. What had she expected?

Stepping onto the gallery she listend for any movements or sounds, but the house stayed quiet. There was no need to call out, Rianne knew that Jay hadn't returned. Why would he after all the stupid things she had said? He was right to run from her and this messy situation. And she wouldn't beg him to change his mind.

After all it had been his decision. If he so desperately needed space Rianne wouldn't stand in his way.
God, before she had taken that bath to soothe and try to sort herself out, she had really felt terribly petulant.

But now that there was still no call, no message, no nothing from him, that odd silence began to unnerve her. This wasn't their first fight, they'd had heated arguments before and they could equally be extremely stubborn and proud, but this felt different. Rianne knew it was because she had never hurt Jay like this before. However well-intentioned her decision that had led to all this, she had dug a really deep hole, stumbled right into it and now, however tired she was, she had to find a way out.

Some part of her wished she could go back to this morning. Rianne sure wasn't keen on having that inevitable, exhausting and awful conversation with Jay again. But maybe if she had handled herself better, there could have been a different outcome. She didn't want to have to fix things and wished she hadn't broken anything in the first place.

***

Another call from his brother

Another call from his brother. Jay violently pressed 'decline', the pressure of his finger on the glassy surface matching his anger and frustration behind it. He could have ignored the call and just let it ring, but he wanted Will to know that he didn't wanna talk to him. Not yet at least. Maybe not ever again. He wasn't sure. Like he wasn't sure about so many things right now.
It was hard to concentrate on anything else when he was going back and forth over the last 24 hours. Especially everything that had transpired since he'd confronted Rianne at the club and the things that had been said today.