Something Better

77

Something Better (Title by Minke)

"And I think it was the feel of you that told me you were it.

Because I've felt many things in my life, and somehow,no matter how great, I knew I could live without it.Until I felt you.There was something inside of me that couldn't let go.Not just the feel of you, but the feel I had of myself."(JM Storm)

***

"So? Does 'little Ruzek's' have an actual name yet?" Stella questioned when joining Rianne behind the bar again and putting her tray back down

Her friend had to be better informed, because she had paid Kim, Adam and their little one a visit yesterday, shortly after the new family had been released from the hospital.

"Yes, they've decided to name him Tom! Oh my gosh, he's like so adorable! So tiny and sweet, and bird-boned... I honestly think he's definitely taking more after Kim..." That was actually the first real smile Stella saw on her friend's face this evening.

All in all Rianne had been a little tense since the starting of their shift.

"Alright..." Stella let that sit with her for a moment.

"Just Tom. Not Thomas, no middle name? Tom Tommy Ruzek... That's surprisingly unpretentious..." Somehow she would have expected Kim and Adam to choose a fancier name, given they had taken their sweet time to come up with this one, but she kinda iked it.

Not that it was really her concern.

What concerned her instead, was her fellow bar girl, who had begun to space out again and kept putting things where they didn't belong. Stella had been cleaning up her friend's messes for two hours straight now and she had had enough of that. She grabbed Rianne's hand in the course of decorating a whiskey-glass with a cocktail-cherry and made her look at her:

"No, he's not going to stand you up, because of your little 'situation' yesterday! He will be here!"

"I didn't say a thing!" the other woman exclaimed, but Rianne's cheeks turned pink on the spot, as if she'd been caught doing something forbidden.

Between polishing glasses and keeping eager Monday customers happy with freshly tapped beers, Rianne had always kept one anxious eye on the Molly's entry and one on the clock and lack of messages on her phone. When would she get it into her thick head that Jay Halstead was not one to hold a grudge because of an ordinary relationship sticking point?

"You don't need to! Your eyes, your fidgeting around ... You're not that hard to read!"

Stella received an eye-roll for an answer, that spoke volumes:

"Well, I'm sorry, but like I told you: things were a little awkward last night and we haven't really been communicating much since. And now his phone is going straight to voicemail whenever I try calling him! And yeah, I'm probably overreacting, but you know I'm ... well I want less hick-ups between us and... I wanna be uncomplicated and emotionally centered."