Lost In The Light

30

Lost In The Light (Title by Bahamas)

Leaving Jay in the morning sucked! A lot!

Rianne would have loved nothing more than to crawl back under the covers with him. Just to breathe in his warmth or kiss for hours on end. She felt she still hadn't done that nearly enough. While he got to sleep in, she had to get her ass into the office at 7.30 in the morning. Convalescence period was over!

Going somewhere on her own after a full week of intimate togetherness sucked even more. She had totally forgotten what that felt like and didn't recognize herself for a minute. It was like she physically missed Jay the moment she left the house.

Thankfully work didn't give her much time to be hung up on that and for the independent woman still living somewhere inside of her it was a pacification that she actually made it to the office and didn't turn on her heel to get back home. After her long absence there was a ton of stuff to catch up on, paperwork piling up on her desk, colleagues checking in with her, appointments to be scheduled. Office gossip and news on her cases kept her busy. Thankfully she wasn't directly dragged out to an emergency call on her first day back.

Rianne did also learn that she could have been right about seeing Nate last night after all. When talking to Martha around noon her co-worker mentioned Nate at some point and that he had been to her office to come see her last week. There had been a little confusion as to why Nate hadn't known about his roommates furlough. Usually they were renowned to know each others schedules by heart. Rianne had to come up with some half-ass lie about it, not wanting to let her colleague in on their domestic drama right now.

Inside she was fuming though. What the fuck?

So he really was back from whatever hole he had crawled out of and hadn't told her, called her, came by the loft? Didn't he think they had some things to talk about? And had Adam known? She would surly sent him an inquisitive text on the matter.

After having received that kind of intel Rianne closed the door to her office and sat down on her desk, upset and already fed up with this day. At least she had come back mid-week, so there were only two and a half days left before the weekend again and she wasn't on call yet.

It had been easier to block these issues from her mind for the last days. Just when she thought about them her phone rang.

It was Jay, summoned by her thoughts as it seemed and eliciting a smile out of her:

"Hey, miss me already?" she answered, at least hearing his voice was music to her ears right now.

"Of course, always... But since at least one of us has to do some good for this city you are forgiven for not being here now," he teased.

She was glad he sounded so upbeat although being home alone and probably itching to get back to work.

"Thank you so much for your sympathy..." she found herself answering with dry sarcasm.

"You okay?"

"Yeah fine, just lots to do and to catch up on over here, so..." she fiddled with some pens on her desks, trying to get rid of the churning feeling in her stomach.

"Rianne..." he interrupted her, tone reprimanding.

How could he tell that something was wrong? He couldn't even see her face right now. She didn't have the energy to come up with a lie, although she didn't want to worry him. Jay would suss her out anyway. Sometimes it wasn't so convenient to date a smart cop:

"Okay little psychic... I'm actually pretty upset, because I learned that Nate's back at work, actually has been for over a week and he didn't tell me and didn't bother to check in and... yeah, I'm pissed and I don't really wanna talk about it..."