Don't Leave Me Lonely

65

Don't Leave Me Lonely (Title by Mark Ronson & Yebba)

Nothing good could ever come from the day after your longtime partner and friend told you she was leaving for New York and had pressed a cryptic message as well as a totally unexpected kiss on you.

Getting into work early Jay had hoped he could talk to Voight alone before the team arrived, but his sergeant would have none of it. When he approached his boss in his office first thing, Voight seemed to know by the look on Jay's face what he wanted to talk to him about and abruptly shut him down:

"I am not having this conversation with you Jay!"

"Sarge..."

"I really am not!"

Jay knew the tone, it was a clear warning to back off that he would have chosen to ignore just for the sake of getting some answers he felt he deserved. Maybe reverse things, however unnecessary his attempt, because they were already in motion, settled, end of discussion. But then everyone else started to file into the bullpen and the chance passed. He certainly didn't feel like getting his ass handed to him in front of the whole team. Jay was however wondering how Voight would explain Hailey's absence.

Rojas looked like she hadn't slept all night and her eyes were a little puffy as if she had been crying a lot. Besides him she was probably the only one who already knew. Ruzek and Atwater were into their usual   goofy morning-antics and looked pretty clueless when they came in.

"Please keep an eye on Vanessa for me!"

Jay wasn't really surprised at Rojas emotional state. From the beginning Hailey had taken the younger woman under her wing and had even risked losing her job now over getting some justice and solace for her roommate's friend Luis. Sometimes Jay wasn't so sure if he loved or hated the endeavor to right the wrong-doings of the world as it had gotten them into not only trouble, but also caused a lot of pain over the years.

"Listen up," Voight announced when everyone had settled in

"As it turns out Upton's been offered the chance to work as a loan-out detective with the FBI in New York. So, as it is not every day that the opportunity of working with the feds opens up, she took it. It's gonna be temporary, but for now we're another woman short." 

Of course Hank did it the way he always delivered bad news: stoic, calm and matter-of-factly, face set in stone. Only it didn't help Jay's irritation with him. 'The opportunity opened up...' Jay scoffed inwardly. Wasn't Hank acting like quite the hypocrite? How often had he done the thing Hailey did and gotten away with it? No one had sent him away to work with another unit to learn the ropes again.

"He said he doesn't want me to turn into him! That he needs me to be me! Jay I guess I don't even know what that means anymore!"

Thinking back to what Hailey had told him about her conversation the night before with Voight, Jay had to admit that their boss had a point there, despite all the frustration at Hailey being gone for now still eating him up inside. What she had done was not at all okay by his standards and certainly nothing he wanted her to repeat in the future. Planting evidence, however unfair it seemed that the well-known mastermind behind the crime would get a free pass, while someone else further down the pay roll took the ride? By all means it wasn't good police-work and definitely not by the book. And honestly he'd been a little shocked that she would go to such lengths as she herself had been a sucker for the rules when it came to keeping him on the straight and narrow. Jay just wished there could have been another way to deal with this and that their last encounter hadn't stirred up even more complications that had nothing to do with the case and everything with them as friends and partners.