21 - Lost

Sasuke removed his hand from Yagura's chest, blood covering his arm down to the elbow. He watched as Yagura hit the ground, dead. He was trying to wrap his head around what he just saw, sharingan genjutsu are immediately released as soon as the caster dies, and he should now be the only Uchiha left in the world right now.

"There must be another Uchiha somewhere that Itachi missed. I have to find him." He said to himself. He looked at the body of Yagura one more time before jumping off in the direction of his team.

He found his team was being healed by Mei and the rest of the konoha team that was with him. Mei saw Sasuke coming from the woods with blood covering his arm. She looked at the arm. "I assume he's dead." She asked, and Sasuke nodded. Mei noticed the look on his face was more of sadness than triumph. "You seem down. What's up? We won the war, it's over, did something happen?"

"No, no, just...worried for my friends, that's all." Sasuke lied with a small smile. Mei decided not to ask about it further. "They might be in the hospital for a while, but they'll be fine in about a week, maybe two. I know the ending of this war wasn't the reason why you came to Kiri in the first place, but I still want to thank you for everything that you have done for us. I don't know how we could ever pay you back for this." She said.

"You don't have to, all we want is to rest." Sasuke said. Mei understood, and was thankful he wasn't here just to gain fame for stopping a war. "Then feel free to use our hospitals for your team. You can leave when you feel like it. And just know, you are now a hero of our village, all of you are. Thank you, more than you can know." Mei said while bowing to Sasuke.

Sasuke smiled in appreciation and thanked her for all of her help. They took the team to a nearby hospital, where they stayed for a few days. A ceremony for the new mizukage was held during this time frame, and although sad he couldn't make it, he knew it was Mei. There wasn't really any other choice on the matter.

After the crew had all been healed up enough to move normally, they packed their things and headed back to konoha. They greeted the gate guards, and Sasuke and Sakura went to the hokage's office for a report.

"Lady Tsunade, the mission to assist in the war for Kiri's freedom was a success. However, Naruto wasn't there either." Sakura says to her village leader. Tsunade was happy that the war was finally over and said that they could have a break from missions if they would like.

"Not for me. I won't rest until I bring Naruto back to us." Sasuke said confidently. "That goes for me, too. We're going to bring him back." Sakura said with the same tone. Tsunade was at first surprised at their tenacity.

"Hmph, alright, then that leaves kumo next, right? I heard he treats his jinchuriki pretty nicely, so if he's anywhere, he's there." Tsunade said as she wrote a letter to the raikage to expect konoha company soon.

"Now hold on, you can't expect me to not come with you, right?" All three turned to the doorway to see Kakashi leaning on the door. "Kakashi-sensei! It's good to see you again, but where have you been? Sakura asked.

"I had sent him on a different important mission right before yours, so unfortunately, he couldn't go with you." Tsunade answered. "But don't worry, I won't let you down as a sensei again. So..." He stuck out his fist. "How about we get team 7 back together again?" Sasuke and Sakura joined fists with Kakashi, and with determination they haven't felt in a while, they left the office and packed for the trip for Kumo.

-In Kumo, 3 days later-

"WHAT!?" Yelled the three Konoha nin.

"I don't know what else to tell you, you can see his grave we made for him in our cemetery." Ai said.

"And you didn't think it was a good idea to tell us that this happened?" Sasuke said with KI flowing out. "And risk going to war with an ally I tried so hard to get for my village? I know your hokage well, peace wouldn't last long if they, or Iwa knew their jinchuriki was dead. Look, I understand, he's your jinchuriki, but I told him that that mission was dangerous, even for him. *sigh* I'm sorry, I should've tried harder to stop him." Ai said, putting his head on his desk.

Sakura was crying, Sasuke didn't know what to think, and Kakashi was beside himself. 'I let another one die. I should've gone with him, I should've done something. I'm sorry sensei, I'm so sorry.' Kakashi thought before dropping to his knees in anguish, and tears formed in his eyes.

"If it makes you feel any better, he died protecting his clients all the way through to the end. He died a hero to them, to us." Ai said, hoping that it would work.

"A little." Sasuke said."Where's his grave?"

"On a memorial stone similar to yours. We usually don't put people from other nations on it, but this was a special case." Ai answered.

The team of three went to the memorial stone and saw all the names of the shinobi that Kumo had lost throughout the years. And sure enough, Uzumaki Naruto was embedded on the stone. "That's... confirmation." Sasuke said in a monotone voice. "Let's just hurry up and get out of here." Sasuke said, trying his best to hold back tears.

They visited Ai again and told him thank you for telling them, and left the village.

-In the hokage's office, one week later-

Team 7 stayed quiet as Tsunade was trying to process the info they told her. She turned away from them and put her hand over her mouth. "I...I need a moment...please." Team 7 understood and quickly left the room along with the hidden ANBU.

She moved her hand and looked out the window. "I'm sorry guys, but this is for his own good."

Merry Christmas everyone