13: Hot & Bothered

You continued to grind up the herbs in the mortar with the pestle.

Apparently, Otsune wanted you to brew some warm tea that'd help treat hypothermia. You were kind of worried for your l̶o̶v̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ Kyojuro's, safety.

The thought of him soaking in a pool of icey water for ten minutes straight sounded a little too extreme. The previous participants never had to undergo the tests Otsune had for Kyojuro.

Maybe it was because she knew Kyojuro would need a tougher challenge since he's an exceptional warrior and was far more capable than most.

But still, Flame Hashira or not, Kyojuro is still human.

You were still a little flustered by the kiss you and Kyojuro shared, and the image of his shirtless form will forever be engraved in your memory.

Seriously, you knew he was hot, but not THAT hot!

You couldn't help the feeling of his muscular form and his heaving chest against you. To have him so close to you, asking for a kiss, made you feel all kinds of sensations.

Your lips still tingled from your previous kiss as your face grew hot like an oven while your grip on the pestle tightened.

The more you tried not to think about it, the worse it got as you gritted your teeth in annoyance.

'Stupid Kyojuro! Curse his sexiness! How dare he make me this way!' you inwardly thought, groaning under your breath, as you gripped the pestle and grinded the herbs harder.

Is this what sexual frustration feels like?

"You know, if you keep this up, you'll break the mortar."

You nearly shrieked upon hearing Otsune's voice beside you, making you almost drop the bowl again.

"God, Obachan! Don't do that!" You say, placing a hand over your rapidly beating heart.

Seriously, for an old woman, she's quite stealthy.

Otsune examined you intently, noting how flushed your face is and how nervous you seem. She didn't need to be a genius to know what was up.

"Young Rengoku has gotten you hot and bothered, eh?" She grins.

Your face grew even redder, "No, no, wait... it's not what you think. You've got to believe me, I..."

"A haiku, if you will. Complex, I can't understand. A good man. A husband. Sharing my body, bearing his child, and suffering. And yet, have no regrets." Otsune says.

"W-what?" You raised a brow in question.

"You don't get a man like that every era! It's normal for a woman to feel this way, so there's no need to be anxious." The elder woman shrugs.

"I'm not anxious!" You growled, mixing the herbal liquid harder with the pestle.

"Uh, I believe the herbs are ground quite enough, [Name]!"

──────────────

Kyojuro stood near the pool, completely naked as he glanced down at the pristine water.