Chapter 17: 'Gullible'

3rd Person POV:

Luz made it home eventually, trying not to make too much noise when she opened the door. She walked inside, took her keys with her, and closed the door as she was met by footsteps behind her.

"Luz, ¿dónde estabas?" She heard Camila say from the corner of her room. "Oh, I'm sorry mama, I fell asleep at Amity's on accident," She lied. "You've been spending a lot of time with Amity, When will I get to meet this sweet girl?" Camila asked, nudging Luz a bit playfully. "Mami, it isn't like that..." Luz mumbled out with a blush.

Luz had come out to her parents as soon as she knew she was bi. Her mom took it well and was super supportive. Her dad on the other hand...well...she couldn't really tell if he took it well or not. He mostly didn't talk about it or even bring it up, he stayed silent when she told him. She couldn't complain, it could be a lot worse.

"You'll meet her soon, I promise," Luz said with a smile. Camila returned it, "Well, mija, I actually wanted to talk to you about something," She said. Camila took a seat on the couch, "Sit," She said, patting down a seat next to her. Luz looked at her confused for a second but took the seat. Camila placed her hand over Luz's, "You have to promise not to be mad at me, alright?" Camila said. "Depends on what it is..." Luz said.

Camila took a deep breath, "I've been talking to your father again and he-" Camila said before getting cut off by Luz. "You've been what!?" Luz said loudly, eyes widening. "¡Dijimos que nunca volveríamos a hablar con él!" She exclaimed, getting off of the couch. Camila also rose at Luz's sudden outburst. "Luz I know you're upset but please listen," She said, putting a hand on her arm. Luz swatted her away, "You promised he was gone!".

"Yes I know I did, but I promise he's a better man now," Camila tried to say. "That's what he says every time, you really believe him! Ay dios mío, Mami, how could you be so gullible?!" Luz said before storming off to her room. She shut the door and locked it, her eyes stung from tears. She pressed her head against the door for a bit, letting out a couple of sobs. 

"This is so stupid..." Luz mumbled out to herself. She lifted her head, taking in a few sniffles as she ran her fingers through her hair. She was rethinking all the things she said to her mom. She was angry with her, but of course, she would never mean those things. Luz was thinking of apologizing to her as her phone buzzed. Luz grabbed it from her back pocket, going to take a seat on her bed. She could see a notification from Amity.

'Noticed you left, did you make it home ok?' She asked. 'Yeah, I did. Would have stayed but I didn't wanna worry my mom' Luz responded. 'Yeah, I get it, it's alright :)' Amity sent back. 'I'm kinda tired, think I'm gonna go to bed now, I'll see you tomorrow' Luz said, which was slightly a lie. She wanted to talk to Amity, of course, but she didn't have the energy to talk to anyone right now. 'Oh ok, I hope you sleep well, goodnight <3' Amity sent. Luz smiled to herself a bit, 'Goodnight' She sent before closing her phone.

Luz got up from her spot on the bed, going to her drawer and picking out a pair of pajamas. She changed into them and climbed into bed, laying down on her side. She replayed things in her head, so much had happened today. She mostly thought about her conversation with her mom, she felt horrible but she knew she was right. They promised they would never speak to him again after all the pain he caused them. You can't really trust promises though.

She dozed off a bit, her eyelids growing heavy. After a while, her thoughts went off to Amity to take her mind off of things; she liked thinking about Amity. A moment passed, and Luz drifted off to sleep. She could worry about problems tomorrow.

~~~

Luz had woken up, but not to the sound of her alarm surprisingly. She looked around confused for a second. Eventually, she had reached for her phone and checked the time. It was still an hour before she had to wake up. Knowing Luz though, she wouldn't be able to fall asleep again. She groaned into her pillow, a bit mad at herself for waking up.