Chapter 4: 'First Impressions'

3rd Person POV:

Yells. Blood-curdling and horrible yells. Luz was tired of it, when would it stop. This had been going on for months now, and it didn't seem like it was going to end anytime soon.

Her dad was a sick man. He's cheated, abused, and harassed. Luz was tired of his games, wanting to just go up to him and say every curse word imaginable towards him. He had treated Luz's mother with nothing but disrespect for the past year, acting like she's nothing more than a house pet.

Sick and tired.

Luz's door was shut and locked, wanting to block everything outside of it. Things shattered from the kitchen, hitting the ground and creating a mess. Luz sat down at her desk; music in her ears and a pencil in her hand. She ignored what happened just behind the other side of the wall. 'Can I Call You Tonight' by Dayglow played loudly from her headphones, but it still wasn't enough to block out the noise. She was finishing up a drawing of a man she had seen earlier at the store. The man had caught her attention with his long and beautiful blond hair he had, it was amazing.

Luz's face was damp with tears from before, but she wiped them off and continued. It was better to not think about it. Then she heard it again, the yells. She pulled the black hood above her head and zoned it out again, not wanting any part of this. Everything would be fine if she didn't worry about it, it would be ok. That's what Luz would tell herself every day, that it would eventually go away and she wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Every story did have a good ending after all.

"WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE"

That was it, the words that could make anyone break down.

"MAYBE I WILL"

She couldn't take any more of it. Luz dropped the pencil in her hand and stood up, sharply inhaling and letting out a deep breath. Tears stung her eyes, but she tried to hold it in, crying was a sign of weakness. She put the drawing in her cabinet and turned off the lamp, walking over to turn on her fan. She felt the breeze from the fan on the back of her neck, sending shivers down her spine. She pulled the covers from her bed and rearranged the pillows the way she wanted them. Luz's bed was her sanctuary, it kept her safe. The music still played in her ears loudly. She didn't care if they would hurt the next morning, she just wanted to block it out as she every day.

'Could you tell me what's real'

The lyrics played in her headphones, she had memorized them like the back of her hand.

'I hear your voice on the phone'

Luz mumbles the lyrics under her breath a bit, closing her eyes and relaxing her muscles.

'Now I'm no longer alone'

That couldn't be farther from the truth.

'Just how I feel'

Luz didn't know what she felt right now; sad, angry, maybe both. What Luz was certain of right now, was the feeling of dread and despair.

'Could you tell me what's real anymore'

Luz's eyes grew heavy with sleep, she needs some rest but it was hard when all you could hear was the sound of your parents going at each other throats.

'Cause I wouldn't know'

And with that, Luz fell asleep. She didn't have to worry about anything else until tomorrow morning, she could rest peacefully for the night.

---

Luz woke up with a jumpstart. Today was the day, she could finally go to Hexside. She quickly got up from her bed and rushed to the bathroom, brushing her teeth and hair, washing her face as well. Her nerves had shot through her, 'the first day again, make a good first impression' she thought to herself. Making her way back to her room, she tried to pick out an outfit. She dug through her closet, finding nothing that caught her eye. She let out an annoyed huff but. She pulled out a pair of jeans from the back of the closet and a black shirt with a tiny skull patched on the pocket of it. She tucked her shirt in the jeans and but on a black belt. She then put on her red converse and beanie to match, and a flannel over it all.