Chapter 3: 'Stupid-Cute'

3rd Person POV:

Luz walked through the halls of Glandus High. The chatter of students sounded like nails on a chalkboard to her. Luz didn't really have any friends at this school, people already decided what stereotype they wanted to be in. There were popular girls and boys, the jocks and cheerleaders, the bookworms, mathletes, every single thing you can think of. Luz, however, didn't belong to any of them. She was new, and highschoolers treated new kids like a piece of fresh meat at Glandus. Luz's mom had said that this was going to be a clean slate for both of them, that it would erase everything back in their old town. It didn't seem that way to Luz though. To her, everything seemed exactly the same. People laughing at her, not with her.

On the first day of school, Luz didn't make a good first impression. She had fallen in the middle of the halls, and people laughed at her from all over. Even though it wasn't the worst thing Luz had been through, she couldn't help but feel embarrassed. 'Way to go, Noceda' was the only thing she could think the rest of the day. People, ever since that day, never spoke to her for some reason. Maybe they didn't want to ruin their social status by talking to the girl that doesn't know how to walk without falling, that's what Luz thought every day. Hours felt like weeks in school, and Luz dreaded the time the final bell would ring. Even though her house was boring, it was way better than school. At least at home, she can spend some time with herself and not worry about other people.

Luz had gone through the motions of the school day;  Literature, Geometry, History, Chemistry, Art, free period, and P.E. Nothing special happened today, besides people making small jokes about her and laughing. Luz wanted to get out of this school so bad, she hated it there. Hexside seemed a lot better since she would already have friends there. Luz had been talking to Amity for the past 2 weeks, they had become really good friends since the mall day. Amity was the only true friend she had so far, which was surprising to her. People would always talk about the Blights around town. She would always hear rumors about them, how they weren't as perfect as people think. Luz thought nothing of it though, she didn't care if Amity was perfect or not, she would still be a friend to Luz.

Luz walked down the sidewalk of her street. She listened to music through her headphones, drumming the beat in the air. Luz had always enjoyed listening to music, it was comforting to her. As she approached the front steps of her house, she unlocked the door to a cold and dark house. She turned on the lights next to her and sat her backpack down, closing the door and locking it. Luz was usually home alone for the whole day, her mom worked the night shift at work and she didn't come home until 4 in the morning. Since today was a Wednesday, she didn't have to go to work. She only did Monday's, Tuesday's, and Friday's. It was kind of a weird schedule for her, but she enjoyed having some time off. She walked over to her room, turning on the lamp on her desk. Luz enjoyed darker rooms better than fully lit ones.

She slumped down on her bed, letting out a huff of relief. The school day was finally over and she didn't have to go to work, she could spend some time with herself. Luz did have hobbies; she liked to cook and draw. She was very good at art and had always been. Ever since Luz was little, she had a talent for drawing and sketching. Luz was very good at drawing anatomy and people, it was her strong suit. She would sometimes sit outside and draw people that walked past her, she called those her 'Stranger Sketches'. She sometimes thought if it was creepy to draw people, but it was where she got most of her inspiration. Everyone was different, and Luz found that beautiful. Everyone was amazing in Luz's eyes, no matter what insecurities or 'abnormalities' they had.

Today was one of those days where Luz sat outside on the steps of her porch, not many people walked by since it was sprinkling outside with cold rain. After a few minutes, Luz decided to call quits and head inside, it was chilly anyway. She slumped down in her desk chair and rested her head on her fist, she had an artist's block again. Luz was never good at coming up with ideas for what to draw, she usually got her ideas from other people. She was in a slump right now. Art has always fun for Luz, but it sometimes got frustrating when she didn't have ideas.