Chapter 20: 'Pancakes'

3rd person POV:

Luz didn't get much sleep that night.

'Surely Amity didn't mean it, she's just tired and sick. Not in the right headspace,' She tried to tell herself.

'But, why would that be such a bad thing?' Luz contradicted herself.

She had been going back and forth for hours. All while Amity laid down on top of Luz. She could feel Amity's chest fall up and down with her soft breathing. Some hair fell in front of her face, Luz moved it out of the way to get a better look at her, she looked beautiful.

It's not that Luz didn't love her, of course. In fact, she would consider Amity her first love. But she just didn't know if she wanted to take that big of a step yet.

'Love is a strong word,' her mom always says. 'Be careful who you say it to because saying 'I love you,' is much easier than saying 'I loved you,''.

Luz had always kept that quote to heart.

Luz could feel Amity move from underneath her. Amity moved her head up higher so her face was right in the crook of Luz's neck, her breathing tickled Luz a bit. Amity had also tightened her grip on her girlfriend. Luz got butterflies in her stomach, like when she had first met Amity. 

"Amity...," She said.

"I love you too,"

~~~

Amity woke up to the sun in her eyes.

'Wait, sun?'

Amity pushed herself away from Luz, sitting up on her knees. 

"Hey, you ok?" She heard a voice say from behind her. She turned around to see her girlfriend. Her pajamas were scrunched up and her hair was messy, Amity found it adorable.

"I...think we slept in late," Amity said, focusing back on the problem. "Well, do you even feel good enough to go to school?" Luz asked. Amity shook her head no, "But I can push through, I have to," The Blight said. 

"Amity, you're valedictorian with a perfect 4.0 GPA, I think you can miss one day of school," Luz said with a grin. "Plus, it's Friday, I've done extra shifts, I can miss out on work today too. We can spend the day together," She tried convincing her even more.

Amity looked down and thought about it, she guessed she could stay home today. "Fine, we can stay home," She said. Luz lunged forward to give the girl a hug, "Glad you agree with me,".

"So, you hungry? Cause I can make you something," Luz volunteered. "You don't have to do that," Amity said. "Yes, I do, you're sick and I wanna do something for you," Luz said with a soft smile.

Amity did feel like Luz had too, but she thought it was sweet, "Fine, how about pancakes?" Amity asked.

Luz lit up, "Ok then, I'll be right back!" She said excitedly while getting up and leaving the room. She closed the door, and as she turned around she could see the familiar faces of 2 people.

"Luz?" Ed and Em asked at the same time.

"Oh, hey guys," Luz said awkwardly.

"What are you doing here? Don't tell me you made Amity miss school or I will-" Emira started saying.

"Amity's sick! I was just going to make her some breakfast," Luz said, putting her hands up in defense. Luz realized how protective the twins were of Amity.

"Awh that sweet...wait, SICK?!" Edric exclaimed, which made the 2 push past Luz and into the youngest Blight's room.

"Amity!" They both said.