Chapter 27: 'Bad Luck'

3rd Person POV:

Amity had put the star on the Noceda's Christmas tree that night. She thought it was nice of Luz and her mother to share a tradition they did. 

Amity's family never had Christmas traditions, they didn't have any traditions in general. Sometimes, Amity didn't even know if she considered them a family. They're more business-related than they are blood-related. 

Before Amity could go too into thought, she heard a beep from the oven. "Cookies are ready!" Luz said excitedly, running to the kitchen. Both she and Camila laughed at her enthusiasm.

Amity had recalled all the times Luz said she 'didn't care for Christmas', but being here, Amity could sense that was a lie. She didn't hate Christmas, she probably just didn't like some memories with it.

Amity walked over to the kitchen to see Luz taking out the hot pan with some mittens. She put the pan down and quickly took off the mittens, going in for a cookie. 

"Hot! Hot! Hot!" Luz said as she pulled her hand back and blew on her burned finger. Amity laughed, "It just came out of the oven, what do you expect?" She said. "I don't know, I'm a little stupid, aren't I?" Luz said with an awkward laugh.

Amity walked over to Luz, taking her burnt hand in her own. "Yeah a little, don't worry though, it's cute," She said, placing a kiss on the finger Luz had touched the cookie with. Luz immediately went red. 

They heard a person clear their throat next to them, "Didn't know couples could be this cringy," They heard Camila say. They both just awkwardly stood there for a second.

"Well, how about we let the cookies cool while we turn on a Christmas movie?" Luz blurted out, trying to get out of the awkward situation. "Yeah, that sounds nice," Amity replied.

The two girls quickly went out of the kitchen, the older woman following behind them. Luz grabbed the remote and kept clicking buttons until they found something all three of them wanted to watch.

They sat on the couch as the movie played. During the middle of the movie, Luz suddenly remembered the cookies they had baked and went to grab them. They were cold now, but still as delicious.

Amity had curled up to Luz's side while watching the film, and Luz didn't oblige. But, she did gently push Amity off of her when she heard the doorbell ring. 

"I'll get it," Luz said as she got up. She happily skipped over to the door and turned the knob.

Nothing could have prepared her for that moment.

Standing there, with a black coat, was Luz's stepfather.

"Luz..." Is all he said, a smile forming on his face. Luz didn't remember the last time he had smiled.

Luz was stunned, she didn't know what to say. "I-I..." Was all she could spit out.

"Luz, quién está en la puerta?" She heard her mother ask as she got up. The younger girl could hear her mother's voice hitch behind her. 

"Camila, mi vida, Feliz Navidad," He said, a slight crack in his voice. "What are you doing here, Santi?" Camila asked.

Amity paused the movie and looked behind her, "What's going on?" She asked. Luz faced back towards her, the Blight could see the panicked look on her face.

That's when Amity saw a man come through the door, he had semi-long, curly black hair that stuck out in all sorts of places. He had facial hair, but it looked as if she had shaven recently. His eyes were also black, but maybe that's because it was dark outside already.

"Who is this?" He said as he faced the Blight. Amity looked over at Luz and saw her girlfriend take a breath. "Papi, this is Amity. Amity, this is my papa, Santiago," Luz said, shaking her voice.