Chapter 2

Kenma's POV

I smiled to myself when I saw that the alpha from yesterday showed up again. I came to this new restaurant in the mornings for its coffee, and for a friend who works here. I wonder why the alpha returned. 

Either way, the alpha was staring at me again. Though it wasn't quite like how other alphas have stared. This one seemed to be trying to avoid staring at me, but he couldn't help it. Hm. I wonder how to get him to come over here without being too disruptive to others who were just enjoying breakfast.

After looking around, I decided to see if I could entice the alpha over with my scent. I leaned towards him in my seat a bit before letting some of my sweeter pheromones fill the air. Other alphas looked as well, but most of them looked like they were with someone, so they stayed put. 

The alpha I was trying to play with looked ready to come over, but he was still in his seat. Hmph... Fine. What about this. 

I stretched, purposefully arching my back and letting a purr out after a yawn. That seemed to work, because before I could open my eyes fully again, the alpha was up and wandered over. I looked at him innocently as he leaned down and tilted his head a bit.

"Hi." He said with a smile. I didn't return the smile and just tilted my head the other way.

"Hello."

"May I join you?"

"Hm.."

"I don't bite."

"Well, maybe you could join for a bit." I said, the alpha quickly taking a seat across from me. 

"I'm Kuroo."

"I'm Kenma."

"Kenma, huh? You know, you're drawing an awful lot of attention to yourself over here."

"Oh?"

"Looking like that and releasing all those friendly pheromones."

"Looking like what?" I asked teasingly while reaching over and gently nudging Kuroo's leg with my shoe. He growled gently and moved his chair right next to mine. Kuroo was beginning to emit some possessive growls as he leaned closer and looked at my neck.

"No mate, huh?" He said, more than asked. I gave him a little nod and let him look at me. It wasn't unusual for alphas to look at, touch, preen, scent, or even nip at omegas that they're trying to court. So it wasn't a strange sight when Kuroo leaned closer to sniff at my unmarked scent gland.

I've never actually let any other alpha get this far. Normally I'd just turn them down. But it was kinda fun having Kuroo try this. However, I don't want him making any more of a scene than he already was. Besides, I'll make sure to see him again.

"Kuroo, stop it." I said, the alpha pulling away from me. He looked a bit worried.

"What is it..?"

"Not now."

"Hmph..." 

"But, maybe another time." I mumbled teasingly while placing a hand on his chest. Kuroo widened his eyes before I pulled away and got up. He just kinda sat there with a dumbfounded look until I started to walk away.

"Hey! Wait, can I at least get your number?" He asked, chasing after me. I hummed slightly before shaking my head.

"Nope."

"What?? Why?" He said with a mixture of surprise and anger in his voice. I reached up, grabbing his shirt collar and pulling him down to be eye level with me. I gave him a small smile before whispering so only he could hear.

"You're gonna need to work hard if you want me, Kuroo. I won't just let any alpha have me." 

Kuroo's POV

Holy shit what just happened..

I slowly stood back up straight after Kenma let go of my shirt and walked away. I had to process things for a few minutes before I ran back to my table to pay and grab my things before I dashed out of the restaurant.

I couldn't see Kenma anywhere... Well, maybe he comes here each morning. How else would he expect me to see him. I'll come back in the morning at the same time. But for now, I had to have some answers. So, I ran to Bokuto's house.

"Bokuto! Lemme in!" I shouted after knocking on the door several times. When the door opened, Bokuto's mate answered.

"Hello Kuroo."

"Oh, hi Akaashi... Is Bokuto here?"

"No, he went to the store for me. But he should be home soon if you would like to come in and wait?"

"Sure, thank you." I said and walked inside. Akaashi offered me some coffee and donuts he made before sitting with me.

"Is there something wrong?"

"No. Well. Yeah. Well- See, it's about this omega I met."

"Oh?"

"Did you play hard to get with Bokuto??"

"A bit."

"How much is a bit?"

"Well I certainly made him work to prove he'd be a good alpha."

"Ugh... so all of you are like that huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"This omega.. he was sitting at his table in this new restaurant just BEGGING to be taken. He was giving off all kinds of friendly and welcoming pheromones, and not to mention the way he was sitting and moving should just plain be illegal..."

"...So in short, you have taken an interest in him?" 

"Well it isn't just that! When I tried to court him, he pushed me away."

"...Kuroo, it sounds like he just may not be interested in you." Akaashi said. I pouted and shook my head to deny the statement.

"Well he told me that maybe we could do it later. And so when I tried to get his number, he told me that I'm gonna have to work hard. And he isn't just gonna let any alpha have him." 

"Really? Well, I certainly must agree with him."

"Huh?" 

"I would never allow just any alpha to have me. And Bokuto proved to me he was better than the others. Perhaps that is what you need to do for this omega."

"You think so?"

"Yes. If he is as attention-grabbing as you claim, he surely already has a multitude of alphas waiting for him. Just make sure you are the best. After all, it's an omega's choice, is it not?"