TEN

later that night harmony sat on her bed with her knees up to her chest and a book resting atop her feet

later that night harmony sat on her bed with her knees up to her chest and a book resting atop her feet. it had been a few hours since luke left her house from previously having dinner with her and her mother. it was now past midnight, harmony wore her pyjamas that consisted of a light blue version of her satin nightgown with a white lace trimming, and her bedside table lamp was the only thing lighting up her room.

there was silence that covered harmony's room except for the faint noise from the living room television where her mother sat awake while watching her favourite sitcoms. every few minutes harmony would hear the ringing of her mother's laughter throughout the house but it was very muffled through her closed bedroom door.

the book harmony read was one from the fear street series by R.L. stine, although those books were meant for an age level much younger than how old harmony was, she still read them whenever she was bored or needed a some comfort. harmony had a sense of nostalgia attached to the fear street books since they had started being released in her preteen years, and she loved the first few enough to have her keep up with them whenever a new one was released. however, at that moment, harmony was re-reading the very first book of the fear street series.

while harmony continued to read and the sound of her mother's muffled laughter filled the silence every now and then, it wasn't long before another sound filled up the quietness of harmony's bedroom.

the unknown noise had been a slight tapping on her window, and as soon as it started it took harmony's attention away from her book. she looked up to her window seeing nothing through her sheer curtains into the dark night, and rather just assumed it must've been the sound of the tree branch that reached her window was hitting against it. she thought that maybe there was just a light breeze that caused the branch to sway far enough to hit her window.

but after a moment of light tapping, the noise stopped and the room fell silent once again. harmony wondered what it had been outside her window that was only there momentarily before she looked back down to the book that rested atop of feet while she flipped the page.

however then the noise came back, this time a soft tapping turned into a light knocking on the glass of her window. this time the noise was louder and more present, and harmony quickly became curious as to what it was outside her window.

harmony folded the corner of the book page to not lose her spot before she picked it up from her feet, placing it onto her bedside table, then she got up from her bed and walked towards her window. harmony was slightly nervous as she made her way towards the window, not for any particular reason except for that she had just been reading a horror novel when suddenly a mysterious knocking started on her window. but harmony knew that the books weren't real, obviously, and she was covered in more confusion than fear.