Little Time

She can't recognize the man in front of her, yet she is too familiar with him at the same time

She can't recognize the man in front of her, yet she is too familiar with him at the same time. Jae Hyun in her memory always looks mature from his age. The gaze on him is still the same, wise and mysterious. Now that he is in front of her, she can't figure out what's changing. He still gives the same mature vibes, even completing the whole picture with the fact that now he's a doctor. She always thought that he will become someone big and being a doctor fits him undeniably.

"How are you?" "How are you?"

As they both speak at the same time, they immediately pause and look at each other before bursting out in laughter.

Jae Hyun takes a good look at her again. Smiles never leave his face, something that he hasn't done in a while. All the walls seem to break down just at the sight of this woman in front of him.

"You look different."

Eun Ha scoffs at his comment, "Should I look the same as I was in high school?" she playfully challenges, making him shake his head. "You look different too."

"Really? How different?"

This time it's her time to take her time to take a good look at him. This man looks totally different from her memory. He looks healthier rather than the skinny tall boy years ago. His black hair styled in a slight messy look, knowing that he still effortlessly looked good. He always has this untouchable vibes which still doesn't change but she knows he always lets himself loose whenever she's around. She knows they have a good relationship with him even though there's no proper goodbye between them.

"Good difference." she concludes.

For the next hour, they catch up for what they have missed. It's just weird to find someone they know long ago in this not proper place, the emergency room. Some nurses take turns to check on her and are shocked when they find the doctor not leaving the hospital yet after his shift. As Jae Hyun lets the nurse do their duty, he makes sure to tell them that he personally will check on her. She is his patient after all.

"So, did you stay in America or you came back here after graduating high school?" she asks again. Jae Hyun wrinkles his nose, feeling that there's no need to tell her about that unnecessary stuff. Something that he knows what kind of response that he will get from her, from anyone who hears it.

"What's the point of the past anyway?" he tries to shrug the question off.

Of course, Eun Ha doesn't let him go that easy. "I mean, we really didn't talk to each other for more than 8 years. Even though I stayed in Jeju the whole year, everything changed. I'm curious about how you were doing."

His gaze softens her concern about his well being.

"I want to know." she softly pleads, slightly testing that it still works on him. Seeing his changing expression as he softly sighs, she's surprised to find out how it still affects him the same even after years.

"I stayed there. I took my degree there too."

Her mouth goes 'O' in amaze. "Where did you go?"

The question he avoids the most but he knows he can't stay silent from her.

"Johns Hopkins." he unwillingly says. At the mention of his, she shakes her head in amazement as she slowly claps her hand. "Yah, don't do that." he uncomfortably says as he grips her hand to stop her from clapping.

"I always wonder what kind of head that you were made of. You are smart, mature, clever and even good looking too. God is unfair sometimes." she sighs, shaking her head again as her adoring gaze never leaves him.

The sudden compliments make his cheeks warm all of sudden. He never thinks that she's still this straightforward. "Drop it, Park Eun Ha." he snaps awkwardly.

Eun Ha chuckles at his awkward behavior. He really can't take compliments well. She knows he heard all the compliments around him but knowing he never pays attention to it, he shows indifference. She knows that it's always different with her. He pays attention to her and everything that is common in his circumstances becomes the first that he pays attention to when it comes from her.

The time flies when it's the time for the nurse to do some final check up on her before telling her that she's good to go. Jae Hyun helps to check her condition, making sure the IV is finished then taking off the needles from her skin. He carefully puts the bandage to cover the scar as she watches him. She smiles to herself by the fact he is now becoming a doctor.

Jae Hyun accompanies her to get the medicines and explains himself how to take it. He repeatedly reminds her to finish all the tablets and not to leave even one behind even though she feels better. She has to stop him from nagging as the look from the nurses becomes more intense in curiosity.

"I'll make a letter of statement for you to take sick leave."

"There's no need to do that. I'll be fine tomorrow."

His sharp gaze makes her shut up. "Two days. Eat regularly, three times with snacks in between." he firmly says. "Do I hear a yes?"

She purses her lips, nodding.

"Come, I'll take you home."

He surprises her at the invitation as it's a natural thing to do for him. In his words, she finds herself not able to ask or even refuse. Now that she thinks again, maybe the way he thinks and acts is now adapting towards how long he had been living abroad. Only in a couple hours, she finds a little of high school Jae Hyun to a much more mature version one. On the ride, she takes glances at him. She feels familiar with him but the opposite at the same time.

"This is your apartment block, right?" he asks, looking straight at the road specifically to the towers of apartment buildings on the site.

"Yeah, you can drop me there." she points to the nearest drop off.

However, Jae Hyun pretends to not hear what she says. "Which building are you?"

Eun Ha finds herself surprised at his direct words. "Tower H."

The car turns toward the apartment block and stops right at the Tower H drop off. For a moment, she doesn't know what to say and contemplates. But it seems that this Jae Hyun always takes control of the situation really well.

"Eun Ha," he says. She hums in response, hesitantly looking at his way. She looks at how he hands out his phone to her. "Your number."

"Huh?" she asks in bewilderment.

"I want to see you again. Not in the hospital, of course."

He also says that he wants to catch up more but he needs to rest. His night shift takes up his bedtime and she just knows the fact. Half feeling guilty, she finally gives him her number. Jae Hyun satisfully smiles at it and immediately calls her number.

"Remember, two days of sick leave."

She sighs, "Yes, doctor." she formally says, making him frown a bit at her sarcasm. "You wouldn't contact me just to terrorize me about my meals, right?" her eyes widened in horror.

Jae Hyun chooses to ignore her words, "Just rest."

She sighs in defeat before she gets out of his car. "It's nice to see you again, Jae Hyun. You'll make a good doctor." she compliments which he only responds by a nod with a smile.

After he makes sure that she safely goes inside her apartment building, he shuts his eyes as he starts to feel a little bit dizzy due to tiredness. Before he took off, he saved her address on the car's GPS and changed its name to 'Eun Ha's Home'. Knowing that he should get the rest he needs, he finally leaves the apartment building towards his own home.