Chapter 15

Y/N P.O.V

  You know how I was worried sounding like a lunatic?

   Well I'm not worried anymore.

   Because now I even look like a lunatic. Running down the sidewalk chasing a small red fox who's cheekily carrying my shoe string in its mouth.

  How has my pathetic life come to this?

   "H-hey, s-slow down.", I panted. To my surprise, the fox looked back at me and slowed his pace down to a trot. Looking around I noticed I was in an alley way behind some buildings.

   I kept following the little guy, eventually stopping when he did. We were in a small space, one where you had to have a purpose to be in.

  Looking down at the fox, who is now sitting in front of me with a playful glint in his eyes, I sighed. "Look I know you want to have fun but I'm on a tight schedule right now. I can't just be running off like this."

  His ears dropped down as he shy fully set down the string. His pitiful, little expression just made me weak.

  "Aww no please, I'm sorry bud.", I bent down, grabbing the string. " I'm just trying to-", I was cut off by a loud growl.

Freezing and slowly turning my head to the side, that's when I saw it. A large black wolf emerged from the shadows growling.

  My hand went back and forth with trying to decide to grab the fox and run. I'm sure the fox can defend itself but still. I've become too attached.

  It seems the wolf made a choice for me. During my hesitation, the wolf quickly jumped in front of the fox. It growled at me in a more protective manner.

  Wait...is it...protecting the fox...from me!?! I slowly put my hands down, eyeing the fox, checking to see it's alright. Then quickly looking back at the wolf. I lowered my stance and slowly started to retreat backwards.

  Keeping my hands up, I noticed the fox grab the wolf's tail in its mouth and pull on it.

The wolf looked back at the fox in shock. With me awkwardly standing there, the two had a silent staring contest.

The wolf looked back at me, glaring. As I was looking into his eyes, I noticed his eyes were the same as the fox's. It held an unnatural gleam to it.

It huffed and grabbed the fox by the back of its neck like a lioness does with a cub. It laid down again in the shadows.

The fox's ears folded back as it ducked it's head towards me.

Not knowing what just happened or what to do, I just did the same back to it. Grabbing the lace and tying my shoes, I stood up straight and started running back towards the school.

~Time skip ~

During school, my mind kept replaying the scene with the fox again. It was weird. I mean, why would a wolf protect a fox? And why did that fox protect me? Yes I consider the fox a friend, but when it comes down to animal instinct I know the animal will choose itself. I know this from a past experience.

Everything about this was just weird....

And that's why I went back to the place it happened.

My curiosity got the best of me. I just hope it doesn't kill me, the cat. I don't expect to find any answers to my questions. It's just a fox after all, it can't talk or do anything magical. I just want to check up on my- the fox.

I peeked around the corner of the building to see if the wolf had left. And to my luck, it did. So I came out of my hiding spot and walked around. "Fox? Foxy? Little fella where'd you go?", I called out.

However, after a few minutes of searching, I realized the fox had also left. With a defeated sigh, I was ready to call it a day. The wind had picked up and the sun was starting to set. "Gosh why does winter have to be this cold? I should've been born somewhere else.", I shivered.

  'Clank'

  Jumping at the sudden sound, I turned around to be faced with a roll a way beer bottle. Some scampering met my ears after that. "H-hello?", I stuttered.

  Of course. The one place I didn't look because of how dark it was. And now I'm going to die. With no fox to save me this time.

  As much as I want to take off running, something in my gut told me not to. Y/n this isn't like the movies, okay? Just start walking backwards and- but what if it's another helpless animal? But what if it wants to kill you?

  A thousand thoughts went through my mind. So I shook my head, silencing them. Besides, what would be the point of living on this earth anyways? At least I would be saved from more bullying.

  I inhaled and began walking over to the darkened corner. "Who's there?". The closer I got, the more harsh breathes I heard.

  I brought out my phone and turned on my flashlight. The reason why I didn't do so sooner was because I didn't want to hurt the fox's eyes if I shone the light in them. But now that I know the little guy isn't here, I could safely use it.

  What I saw when I did, shook me. There sat an unhealthy, shaking guy. His black hair was matted, clothes torn. And his legs were long like his tail. Wait...WHAT?

  I looked over him again to find two black wolf ears coming out of his head. Along with a long black furry tail. I stood there. Frozen.

  What do you do when you find something like this? It looks too real to be a- did the tail just move!?!

Yup. It's not a costume.

  I snapped out of my daze when I heard whimpering. How long has this man been out here? "I-I'm not going to hurt you", I reassured him. If anything he could hurt me.

  I went to take another step closer.

  "P-please. D-don't come near.", the man looked up at me trying his best to seem intimidating. But his cracked voice contradicted him.

  "H-how long have you been here? A-aren't you cold?", even though he didn't want me near, I wanted to do something to help. Looking at him reminded me too much of myself.

  "N-no", again, he stuttered.

  I sighed. "You know, during my low points in my life, I would wish for someone to helped me. So please, let me help you.", I unwrapped my scarf that was around my neck and gently placed it down in between us.

  He lifted up his head, looking at me with a blank expression. As if he was analyzing me and my words. Then he slowly reached out and took the scarf.

  It made me show a small smile to him. Which only grew wider when he put it on.

  "Thank you."

  "Hey you didn't stutter!", I chuckled.

  The guy looked at me with a shocked expression before retiring to his emotionless one.

It made me smiled wider. He looked cute. Gosh it's been while since I smiled so much.

  "My name's Y/n.", I introduced myself.

"Namjoon. Kim Namjoon."