Chapter 5

At 'lunch', if you can even call it that, I scanned the room looking for a seat. Hopefully next to someone! I hate sitting alone, it gets too depressing.

And that's when I saw them. Two shorter, sorrowful looking hybrids sitting across from each other. For a moment I felt something spark inside of me. It almost felt as if these two were my Huening Kai's. The feeling of two puzzle pieces I would need in my life.

Slowly I made my way towards them. I sat down diagonally from the more feline-like hybrid. I shyly looked up as I caught them signing to each other. A trait that we hybrids were taught by the elder's, as a means of secret communication.

They both turned to look at me. Suddenly feeling the room grow colder, the edge of my lip turned up some. Not a full smile, but more of a shy nudge as to say 'I won't tell. Sorry'.

After looking me up and down, the feline-like hybrid signed to me, 'What's your name?'

'Jung Hoseok...Your's?', I signed back with a bit of hope.

'...Min Yoongi. And this is Park Jimin.'

The shorter of the two smiled a bit at me.

He must be new, I thought. Not many hybrids go around smiling at everyone, the atmosphere in here just isn't for that type of thing. Then again, I'm a hypocrite. I try to smile to at least one hybrid a day. I do it to hopefully try to cheer them up a bit, at least for that day. I don't know if it works but I'm not going to stop now.

I turned to Jimin and smiled brightly at him.

Apparently that was contagious because, his smile widened soon after.

'How old are you two?', Yoongi signed to us.

'18'

'17'

If Jimin is 17 then I wonder how long ago he got captured. Poor thing, it's probably still fresh in his mind. Now wonder he still has some hopefulness to him.

'I'm 19'

'So you're our hyung?'

'It seems so'

I looked down at this news. First, Jimin is fresh off the bat. And Yoongi-hyung has been here for a while. I can tell this by the way he looks so gloomy, to how he hides his scent so well that I'm convinced he doesn't have one. My poor hyung...having suffering for I don't even know how long.

Probably even longer than me; I got put in here when I was fourteen. Some hybrids, I've heard, were born into this place. The babies getting stripped of their humanity only a few months after birth. Being turned into a hybrid can be very painful. As your bones twist to create more tail bones, and animal like ears. This is why, during the transition time, it isn't uncommon when the baby dies.

Gosh, I hope he wasn't one of those babies that had survived. I wanted to know but I didn't want to cross a line. So with shaky hands, I carefully signed to Yoongi-hyung.

'H-how long?'

He seemed to be in a trance. After a minute of just staring, with no emotion, at my hands, he shook his head.

'Yo-you don't have to-

He stopped me in the middle of my signing.

'Since I was 8'

My hands dropped completely. In the corner of my eye; I could see Jimin was just as shocked as I was.

Yoongi-hyung looked down and just kept poking at a small grape that had fallen off his tray and onto the table. With this scene...I....I just wanted to run around this table and hug him. Hold him, let him cry, and say comforting words to him. Tell him he was going to be okay now.

But I just sat there, adverting my eyes as a tear slipped out of my left one. I knew if I had done that, a 'Master' would come over here and make things worse. The last thing I wanted to do was to cause him, and Jimin, more pain. And even if I told him those things, they wouldn't be true. It would be giving him a false hope.

One one good note, now he has me. And hopefully that false hope, within time, can become real. Not only for Yoongi-hyung, and Jimin, but for others as well. I want to become a source of hope for all these hybrids that deserved it. It will take time, and it may not even work, but it's worth a try.

I looked up, after a while, and caught eyes with another hybrid. His wide shoulders and handsome face turned away in embarrassment.

Who is he? Did he just see everything that happened? But why didn't he tell one of the 'Masters'?

However, for some reason, he intrigued me. A small, similar, spark that I felt from before came back as I stared more at him. I needed to know more about him.

And with that, lunch was over.