FIFTEEN

He went outside and came back in seconds, dragging something dark, in the spring weather; ungainly. He quickly tossed the damp, heavy bundle to the ground.

He then softly opened it, leaping away from fright as he saw what it held, he hastily tossed it inside the room, and started sobbing, he looked weak, so weak that he had collapsed on the ground and couldn't get back up.

Ruth's head was inside it, with her gorgeous smile all jumbled up; she still looked perfectly fine though, but she was dead.

She dashed all the way to the door and knocked timidly. Ruth.
He then hurriedly turned his head to the door, but when he turned around, he saw her, Maya, lying on the ground, bleeding to death; this was the second reality.

He then took a step forward and carefully spun the doorknob. He examined her deeply, horrified faces behind him, with a dreadful look on his shrunken face, then took some steps backwards, and fled towards the kitchen.

He was horror-struck, not understanding what was happening to him or how he could escape out of this world for once, as well as he nearly died as she spoke.

"Mr. Vandenberg... I'm here to help you," Ruth began, her tone pleasant and serene.

"Can you tell me who you are?" shrieking, he inquired.

"My name is Ruth, and I'm the one from last night. You almost killed me, as you did to her"

"What brings you here?"

"I noticed something in you that reminded me of someone I couldn't save, so I decided to save you, even if your tale looked a little peculiar at first, but I believed it, and you can now leave... I should be the one who is terrified of you."

"I have no fear of you."

"Then why are you concealing?"

"It's... I found a black sack outside just before you came here, and when I opened it... I found you"

"What?"

"It's right in front of you in the room; just open it."

And as she entered, she started screaming; he followed her in, and while she continued to mourn, he hugged her so tightly that she gasped for breath.

However she unexpectedly burst into laughter, he then gazed at her in disbelief.

"Did you say you were in two realities? So your future self found that link and sent you this, and now I know I'm going to die with you anyway."

"No... run”

"Yeah, I'll just go back to my old life and have my head cut off. No. I'm staying here, at the very least, and, as you said, I'm going to die for a reason...”

“Are you serious?”

She smiled and nodded. "Never been more"

She then took a small box from her pocket and slid it off to expose a row of cigarettes. She handed him one. He did, however, shake his head.

“You don't smoke?” She inquired; taken aback.

“No, no... just occasionally... I'm trying to quit.”

“I can't quit.” She laughed and popped one of the cigarettes into her mouth.

As she blew the smoke outside, he kept a tight eye on her . Why are you gazing at me like that? I'm just doing this to relieve tension; as her facial expression clearly indicated.

“So, what are we going to do now?” She inquired, her face lit up with anticipation, even though, he had no idea where to begin. “Can you tell me everything you have seen there; the other reality?”

“Maya, the last time I was there, I remember opening the door for her, then she said goodbye and departed. That, I believe, was the finale of this story."

She grinned as she said, "A good ending then."

“Yet, she said something before she left, it was like: "thank you for helping us"; however, what did she mean by "us"?

“In that moment, I'm dead. So, maybe...”

“Don't mention that; we're still uncertain.” He came in between her and his thoughts.

"That's my head right there, plus I'm going to die anyway."

“Yes, but not with me; you will have a long and happy life with a happy husband and children.”

“I'm not really into that sort of stuff, I hate this world, and you're the only one who has ever rung my buzzer, in a way.”

“Who are you?”

“May I introduce myself as Ruth… ” She then took a breath and hesitated. “Who am I really?” She creepily wondered .

After that, he drew her into a hug. “Don't worry, you're with me now.”

Finally, there was silence.