chapter 10 - GIRLFRIENDS?????

"Don't tell anyone this okay? But me and Taco.. we are girlfriends!"
GIRLFRIENDS????? I force myself to hit the mute button on my headphones so I don't scream into Mic's ear.
"Not in the friendship way either."
WHAT? WHEN DID WE EVER TALK ABOUT THIS? I mean I don't mind it but I'm a bit surprised and caught off guard by this new information.
"If you saw us yesterday on our romantic candle lit dinner together pretend it never happened please?"
so she DID take the candle lit dinner romantically? That's new. Mic has a thick scull most of the time but she sounds pretty aware that I was trying to show her I like her a bit more, no, a LOT more than I previously did. "Our love can never be when I'm still in the final five!"
Mic definitely must have definitely forgotten to mute herself because she said LOVE just now. I can't believe she thought of me ever in that light. I completely ignore that last part because our love could most certainly BE in the final five! I scoff to myself, hmph, if she told me her feelings for me earlier it would have been nice. I'm extremely happy though, I've been trying to avoid bringing up my feelings for the longest time just waiting for her to say she likes me or at least tolerates me and it's happening! We DEFINITELY need to talk later about this but we have the challenge to focus on first. I take out my binoculars and look into the woods just a few miles away from me. There, I can see Test Tube, teleporting rapidly from one spot to another. Wait, was she the one that found Mepad? That vile vial took Mepad apart and found out what made him teleport didn't she? That's quite impressive, and alarming. Observing her further she seems to be teleporting up trees and around bushes. She's really going crazy with that thing. After a few seconds of trying to keep my eyes on her I see her try to pull on a white cloth from underneath a huge rock. How did she even manage to see it? It was barely sticking out! She tries to pull harder and harder, putting both of her feet on the rock and setting her teleportation device down to do so. She tugs and tugs until it falls out from under the rock and Test Tube flies a few feet away from the force it exerts. Since that was mics flag I guess our number one priority now is going after Test Tube. Mephone didn't tell the group why the colors are important but he color coded them for a reason, I know that for a fact.
The five minute timer goes off and Mic is still running to the woods a few feet behind Baseball. She activates her invisibility bow so he can't see her trudging along behind him, only a floating bow is seen. He gets to the woods before her. Her running is starting to slow down though, the floating bow is going slower than before but I believe in her. On the other hand Lightbulb must not care anymore about the challenge since she just stopped by the drink machine and decided it was the perfect time to get a soda in the middle of a challenge.
After a few minutes Mic enters the woods from the middle. I presume Baseball and Suitcase are on the opposite side of the woods since I can't even see them at the moment.
"Hey Taco" she breathes loudly and seems to be exhausted from all of that running. "wait hold on let me catch my breath."
"Go ahead Mic, I'm a bit impatient at the moment given our circumstances but I'll let it slide since you consider me to be your 'girlfriend' hm hm" I raise my eyebrow and snicker to myself. It's so refreshing calling myself Mic's.... Girlfriend.... HEHEHEHEHEH ok ok back to talking.
"Yeah I was going to talk to you about that later but might as well clear it up now"
"Yes yes Mic, I know." My ego is sky high right now but this is one of the best moments that I've ever had in my relatively short lifespan so I savour the feeling.
"Oh ok good then, I knew you were smart enough to figure out what I was doing"
"Yes Mic, very clever of you to bring up your feelings in a conversation like that to get Lightbulb off of your case" I roll my eyes. "Don't worry though, the feeling is mutual. You know, I have had a bit of a crush brewing up for you for quite some time now as well, you understand me more than anyone, Mic. Frankly, I don't know why you like me that much but it makes me extremely happy that you do." I can feel myself blush a bit. This was a pretty big confession for me to make but it was so worth it.

"Um, what?" She sounds nervous but that's probably because she basically confessed her love to me earlier

"Well, you said it yourself didn't you? We're girlfriends and not in the friend way! You could've clarified your feelings towards me a bit sooner but that's fine! A little late is better than never right?" I chuckle to myself and totally forget we are in the middle of a challenge. Is this what love feels like? The rush of adrenaline in me is too much to handle.

"..."

Wait.... This isn't right. This is the part where Mic is supposed to confess her undying love to me or something along those lines.

"..."

"Um, Mic? Hello?"

"Uh Taco uh I gotta go uhm win this challenge now sorry!"

She turns her gain off.

"Oh okay."

My heart that once was dancing sinks down in my chest.

Did I read the signals wrong?

"..."

Still nothing from the other end.

I take my headphones off and set my equipment down. I've embarrassed myself enough to the point where I don't think I can talk to Mic anymore today.
I suck it up though. We are still partners in crime to the end of this and I'm willing to prove to Mic that a silly crush that she probably, no, definitely doesn't reciprocate won't stop me from helping us win the million.
I'm more than a bit sad that she doesn't like me though. She never said she didn't but the way she ended the phone call was certainly proof of that.