chapter 16 - I just need time.

As I'm waiting for my coffee to pour in the lounging area of the hotel a portal opens up. I wonder who got eliminated this time? To my surprise, Lightbulb steps out of the portal. I'm shocked, not only was she eliminated, but she has a huge hole in her face.
"LIGHTBULB!"
"oh hey Painty... nice seeing you here.."
"WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED LIGHTBULB?!?!"
"Oh nothing, Test Tube just got a little upset at me..."
"A LITTLE??? LIGHTBULB, YOU HAVE A HUGE GAPING HOLE IN YOUR HEAD!"
"Well, it was kinda deserved..."
"WHAT COULD YOU HAVE POSSIBLY DONE TO DESERVE THAT?!?!?"
"well I said some things and-"
"Ok Lightbulb, I'm going to explain this in a way that your overly nice self can understand. Hurting someone's feelings DO NOT GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO HURT YOU."
"Well it was a stressful situation and she was upset and now you're upset and I can't do this anymore Paintbrush this is all too much."
She starts to cry and puts her hands on her face.
"wait wait I didn't mean it like that Lightbulb please don't cry, I'm only concerned for your well being here I promise. Here, why don't we get you a snack and put a movie on or something? Do you want to see Baxter? He's currently being interviewed by Fan right now but we can ask to see him!
She sniffles and wipes her tears away to reply.
"No no, let Baxter have his little moment of Fame, I think I'll take you up on that snack and movie offer though. I need a little something to get my mind off of things anyways."
I smile at her. It's good she's trying to recover.
"Alright then, Pickle and Knife move over, because it's Paintbrush and Lightbulb movie night!"
"Let's do it painty!"

We are a few hours in sitting on the couch watching the entirety of the Shrek movie series while shoving popcorn in our faces when Oj pops in and interrupts us.
"Um, Lightbulb? I think this letter is for you."
He hands her a green envelope with a golden emblem. "I found it outside addressed to you." Yep. It's Test Tubes.
"Sorry Oj, I think it was addressed to the TRASH CAN"
I rip it in half and walk myself over to throw it away when Lightbulb yells at me.
"WAIT! PAINTBRUSH! at least... Let me read it... Okay?"
"But she... SHE DID THIS TO YOU!"
I gesture at her cracked bulb.
"Please, Paintbrush?"
She looks at me like a lost puppy and I can't seem to throw it away now.
"Fine. But if she says anything about it being your fault so help me Lightbulb I will go over to the challenge fields myself and give her a piece of my mind and I don't care if it's breaking the rules."
"Got it Painty." She smiles at me.
We migrate to the couch and she pulls the letter out of the ripped envelope. I read it silently in my head while she holds the two pieces together in her hands.

"Dear Lightbulb,

I've messed up, but you know that already so I don't need to remind you. I've been a sorry excuse of a friend and I don't know how you could ever forgive me for what I've done to you.

It was hard writing this letter, because I can never admit to being wrong about a situation. Saying I've hurt you would be an understatement. I've probably given you some trauma (not only to the head) and I apologize.

I should've listened to you. I hear my own voice in my head and think back to your own words about me. You were right all along. This game is getting to me.

When I win the million, I'm thinking of paying you back for some of the damage I've done to you. I just hope it's enough. I want you to consider me your friend again, but I don't know how to fix this situation.

I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me in that moment and I hope you can forgive me.

- Sincerely, Test Tube"

"Well that was-
"Heartfelt."
I was gonna say a really sorry excuse for an apology but Lightbulb seems to think It's fully redeemed her to friend status.
"Um, no Lightbulb. Are you just going to forget what she did to you bacause she wrote a few sentences down? She only cares about the game!"
"She sounds like she cares about me now though. I mean, she put all this thought into some fancy letter to tell me she's sorry..."
"Don't tell me you're going to forgive her that easily."
"..."
"Lightbulb"
"..."
"Lightbulb, say no right now."

"Maybe I'll forgive her, but I think I just need time right now to myself."

I put my hand to my face and cringe.
"Lightbulb...."