Chapter 2--Relieving a Burden

You stopped where Hiro stood now, just behind the counter, and your eyes widened just a little bit. Just moments ago you were sitting at one of those tables, sipping on hot chocolate and talking with Hiro casually...and you could still see your forms right there, like ghosts.

"You okay there, (Y/N)?" The sound of Hiro's voice instantly brought you back to reality.

You blinked and shook your head to clear the vision, turning back to Hiro with a small smile. "Yeah, yeah. Sorry."

Hiro smiled at you gently as he gave you a quick tour behind the counter, showing you the different coffee makers and tea boilers, as well as the locations of different baked goods and other food items. He also showed you where to put the mugs and plates and trays when customers were done with them, and he volunteered to help wash them for you, since he was done his projects for the day.

"You sure about this?" you asked him, a hint of doubt evident in your voice. "I really don't want to become another burden for you, you being a college student and all. You must be busy."

Hiro laughed. "You think I'd call you a burden? I don't mind staying with you. What else can I do for a friend, now, hmm?"

Friend? Did he just call you a friend? You almost couldn't believe it when he said that. You had no friends whatsoever at school, and as the word escaped his lips you couldn't help but feel a little hopeful.

"You really think I'm a friend to you?" you asked him quietly.

"Sure. Why not? I trusted you with my deepest secret," Hiro replied calmly. "And you did with me too. You can trust me."

You laughed hollowly. "Well, I'm grateful for that. I just don't want to hurt anyone any more than I might be right now."

Hiro looked at you wistfully. "Promise me that if you ever need help you can always talk to me. I'll be here to help. I promise. Will you?" He held up his pinky.

"I promise," you said, linking your pinky with his.

"Good."

The door opened again with the tinkle of bells that followed, and the first few customers started to file in.

"Well, here we go," Hiro said, putting one hand on your shoulder and looking at you with a determined look. "Good luck, (Y/N)."

"Thanks."

With that, you attended to your first customers, taking their orders and immediately tending to them, filling mugs with coffee or plates with cakes or cookies. Hiro proved to be a good teacher and so to the customers you looked like an experienced barista. Soon, you received not only a great amount of tips, you also got quite a good amount of salary from Aunt Cass on your first day by the end of your 3-hour shift. Another barista came in and took your place for the night, so you left the work to her.

"Whew!" you sighed in relief, re-entering the kitchen to see Hiro drying a mug with a clean blue dish cloth. He smiled when you came in, and set the mug on the counter.

"Well, how did it go?" he asked you.

"Pretty well," you replied. "Thank you so much, Hiro."

"Pretty well?" Hiro stared at you in disbelief. "(Y/N), you were one of the most efficient and friendly baristas we ever had around here! Aunt Cass kind of told me while you were working, and...I have to agree with her."

"You really think so?" you asked, feeling a smile creep in.

"Mmhm," Hiro nodded.

"Well, I'm honoured," you said, deciding to take Hiro's words for good. "Thank you."