Chapter 3--The shock

The next moment you opened your eyes, sunlight was streaming through Hiro's window onto the bed. You looked down and freaked out—you were still wearing the same clothes from the day before! How could you have dozed off for so long without realizing? You looked over to Hiro, who was also wearing the same clothes from the day before. You blinked and shook your head. That was weird!

Suddenly, you felt Hiro stir, and his hand slipped in yours. Oh great. You two even held hands in your sleep! That was awkward.

"Urngghhhh..." Hiro groaned, and yawned widely. You couldn't help but notice...a tooth gap? That was new. But you assumed that was what made him so likable.

"Morning, Hiro," you smiled at him. The sound of your voice made him turn to you, and he smiled in return.

"Morning, (Y/N)," Hiro greeted you, getting up and stretching. "Had a good sleep?"

You nodded. "It must be embarrassing though, one of Aunt Cass's new employees sleeping with her nephew..."

"And for a good reason too." Hiro ran a hand through his messy hair and looked at you again with an awestruck look in his eyes. "Dang, (Y/N), you still look normal even after you sleep. I wonder how you do it."

"Consider me lucky," you laughed. "It always ends up on point after a good sleep. I don't know how, either."

You slipped out of the bed, and the moment your feet made contact with the floor you also stretched and yawned. 

"Aw man," you muttered. "That felt good."

Hiro then looked at you uncertainly. "Wait, did we actually...oh man...did we hold hands in our sleep?"

As much as you didn't want to admit it, you had to. You nodded. "Yeah. But thanks for that, I guess. At least I didn't get any more nightmares."

"Nightmares?" That word got Hiro's attention, and he sat back on the bed, alert. "Tell me about it."

So you perched on your side of the bed as well, looking at Hiro. "Most of my nightmares were about my mom, to be honest. I was so scared of her abandonment; I always worry about what happens on her end. Sometimes I fear that she would die on me, and leave me completely alone, with the pressure of the whole world on my shoulders. Other times I feared that she would still be alive, but changed. You know, her personality would no longer be that of a mother, and something happened to her that made her so...empty. I can't bear to think about it." You shook as the last words came out in a whisper, and you looked down. "The last thing I want to do is see my mother's grave, and feel that everything was my fault."

Something finally clicked in Hiro's young genius mind. That was what was bothering you!

"We'll make it work out in the end," Hiro promised you, though he wasn't sure how to help. "It won't be your fault. I know it won't be." He took your hand again, and you were used to it by now, just how much you needed it, how much you needed someone who actually cared to be by your side. "If your mom dies, well...it won't be because of you. Her death or her life would eventually be her choice." 

You looked up to him with a wistful look. "I hope that's true."

"If it helps though, do you want me to drop by your place after you're done with school? We can both try to see your mom together."

You were startled at the request. You have only known Hiro for so little of a time, and already, he cares for you a great deal. What more could you want from a friend? Maybe with him, you could try to bring your mom back to reality.

"Of course," you smiled. 

Just then, Aunt Cass showed up to see you and Hiro in conversation again.