Chapter 26--The Trial

If the fact that the courtroom was located on the lower level already freaked you out, the fact that the courtroom looked like a graveyard the moment you entered made you feel like you wanted out, and nothing more. The entire atmosphere itself was completely gloomy and dark, and you shivered. Yet you still managed to keep looking forward, not even daring to take a look at the defendants' table, where Trudy and Robert were waiting with handcuffs around their wrists in front of them.

You suddenly felt a cold grip on your hand, and you turned to see Hiro shaking like a leaf.

"Same here, (Y/N)," he whispered to you. "This place gives me the creeps. It's like I'll never live to see another day."

"Agreed," you nodded.

"Stay with me," Hiro whispered softly now, gripping harder on your hand as you reached the plaintiff's desk, passing the rest of the gang as you did so.

You nodded again, your voice unable to work due to bubbling nerves, and you squeezed his hand. I will. I promise.

The judge then arrived into the courtroom, and everyone rose as he made his way to the head of the room.

"The court is now in session, you may all be seated," the clergyman stated, and everyone sat down courteously. You found yourself squished between Hiro and Melanie, which you didn't mind.

"Dating today the 23rd of October, we are here to witness the criminal trial between plaintiffs Ms. (Y/N) (Y/L/N), Mr. Hiro Hamada, Ms. Melanie Norimo, Ms. Gisele Norimo, and Mr. Tadashi Hamada, and the defendants, Ms. Trudy Fridgerator and Mr. Robert Callaghan, for the attempted murders of Ms. Gisele Norimo and Mr. Tadashi Hamada and the successive murders of Mr. (F/N) (Y/L/N) and Mrs. (M/N) (Y/L/N)." He then turned towards the defendants. "Mr. Callaghan, do you plead yourself guilty or not guilty?"

"Callaghan pleads not guilty, sir," Callaghan's lawyer, a thin blonde woman with black flats shouted to the front of the desk.

"Thank you. The trial shall proceed. You may all be seated."

Everyone sat silently as the judge flipped through his papers, and the jury also started to take out their pens and notebooks and prepared to take notes. You felt Hiro let go of your hand briefly as he changed his hand position now, intertwining his fingers with yours tightly. You marveled silently without looking at your hands how his fingers had fit perfectly in between the spaces of your fingers, and for the moment you felt comforted as you gently rubbed your thumb over his just to calm the both of you down.

"You alright?" Melanie asked you quietly.

You nodded, giving her a reassuring smile that even comforted you temporarily. "Hey. We'll get the justice we need."

"Attorney of the plaintiff party, please present your opening statement," the judge began.

The representative clergyman who spoke with you earlier began. "The plaintiffs in question have three separate situations, all of which ended up crossing each other. Ms. (Y/L/N) has lost both of her parents to the defendant Mr. Callaghan by means of poison for her father and blackmail and death threats for her mother. Mr. Hiro Hamada claimed to have lost his brother in a fire at the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology ten weeks ago that has been started by Mr. Callaghan, however his brother survives and remained in custody on the island where Silent Sparrow took place. Ms. Melanie Norimo claimed to have lost her sister in a car crash four years ago when Mr. Callaghan had hit her, however the same has happened to her when she remained in custody on the island where Silent Sparrow took place.

"As a result of what has happened to these three children, they all wish to testify against Mr. Callaghan and his niece Trudy for threatening to break their families apart. For all three cases they all wish to charge the defendants with homicide for what they have done to their respective families."