Chapter 7--Defeat

(A.N. okay so this is a really small time-skip

WARNING: serious heart-break moments incoming)

The rest of the week flew by without a worry. School was starting to become less depressing with Melanie by your side, and your work shifts at the Lucky Cat Cafe had become so much more enjoyable now that Hiro was able to work with you. He even introduced you and Melanie to the rest of the gang--Honey Lemon, Wasabi, Fred, and Gogo, who you thought were all really nice and friendly. Then you and Melanie got to meet Baymax, who turned out to be a really huggable lovable white inflatable robot that Tadashi built to help a lot of people.

"Do you think Baymax could help my mom?" you asked Hiro the day before your mom was supposed to go to the hospital, while cleaning up the dishes after another hearty dinner at the Hamadas after work.

Hiro scratched his head. "I don't see why not."

"Then come on. We should get Baymax to my mother before it's too late."

You started to run up the stairs to the bedroom, Hiro right behind you. Then you grabbed Baymax's red case and ran out of the cafe, not stopping once on the road until you got to your house, panting. 

"(Y/N)! What..." 

You turned back to see Hiro panting as well, almost at the point of wheezing.

"Come on," you whispered. "You never know how my mom is going to look."

Unlocking the front door, you went inside and went straight up to your mom's room, where she lay on the bed like a corpse. The past few days when you were home, she hasn't been showing herself at all, and you were worried about her to bits. Most of your evenings, after finishing homework, was spent comforting her, if it's not hanging out with Melanie or Hiro or the gang. Your mom was getting a little bit better thanks to the food you brought back from the Cafe, but she was still firm on giving up. This made you feel downhearted. 

Your mom smiled upon seeing you and Hiro enter her room.

"Hi (Y/N)," she smiled feebly. "Ahh, and hello to you too, Hiro."

"Hi Ms. (Y/L/N)," Hiro greeted her gently.

"Hello, mom," you waved. "Look mom, I brought over a solution to all your troubles. Or maybe, most of them." You set the red case on the ground. 

Your mom eyed the red case in confusion. "What's this red case going to do to me?"

"Mom, you need to activate him, of course! All you have to do is say 'ow'."

"Why would I say 'ow' if nothing hurts?"

Your mom did have a point. She was so weak now that even a single knife blade cutting through her skin wouldn't make her scream. The other day you accidentally pinched her so hard you thought she was going to scream, but she didn't. Yeah. Her sensitivity was now at such a low level.

"Mom, just do it," you pleaded.

"Alright," your mom gave in. "Ow."

The familiar sound of Baymax inflating from the red case filled your ears, and Hiro smiled at the huggable healthcare companion. As Baymax waddled over to your mom, Hiro stepped beside you and took your hand again.

"Sorry," he whispered. "I just need to make sure you'll be okay."

You nodded, biting your lip and looking down. "Thanks, Hiro. It's okay."

"Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion," Baymax introduced himself to your mom.

Your mom smiled. "Hello, Baymax. I am (Y/N)'s mother."