Chapter 32--Forever and Always

The very next day, you were discharged from the hospital, and returned home with Mr. Lacitier in the early afternoon.

"Man!" you exclaimed upon arrival, running all the way into the living room and collapsing on the sofa. "It feels so good to be back."

Mr. Lacitier followed you with a chuckle, removing his hat. "I never knew you had so much energy in you now, (Y/N)."

"I suppose it just all came from finally getting out of that hospital!" you sighed in relief. "Man, to be honest, I never felt more cooped up! Well, admittedly I was asleep for the most part."

Mr. Lacitier chuckled as he got you a glass of water and an apple, and helped himself to some tea. You both sat on the sofa now, quietly enjoying each other's company. Everything seemed to be so peaceful, yet in your mind something was bugging you.

"Mr. Lacitier," you began quietly. "Did the judge question you about the poisons you brewed? You know, the things you made at home?"

Surprisingly, Mr. Lacitier shook his head. "They knew I majored in natural sciences and biotech, so they didn't really ask much about that side of me."

"For a moment I thought YOU were the one who poisoned my father," you laughed, setting your glass of water down on the table in front of you. "When I first heard the vials and smelled something foul, I thought you wanted to get rid of me."

"Not a chance! (Y/N), you're important to me. You're important to a lot of us."

"So why do it?"

"Well..." Mr. Lacitier set his cup down as well and stared into the distance. "I suppose it's because I wanted to do something with what I've learned but...I don't know. Your parents' death took a toll on me too, you know. I was in your shoes for a while too. But eventually I learned that you kind of remind me of both of them-in a nice way."

"My father and mother were proud of you," you said to him. "I kind of...well, I kind of had a conversation with them in my head before I woke up."

"As in, before you were out of your coma?" he asked you.

You nodded. "I did mention to them you took good care of me. And my dad told me all this and yeah. And then he said you taught him about the most important organs in the skull, right?"

"Yeah," Mr. Lacitier smiled. "I'm glad he remembered some of that."

You nodded, picking up your glass again and sipping from it, tiny amounts of water entering your mouth and going down your throat. "Have you wondered what would happen if my mom and dad never died? If I knew about Callaghan's plans before any of this?"

To this, Mr. Lacitier thought deeply, wiping his monocle as he did so. "Well, now that you mention it, I haven't. But I was glad your mother decided to have me be your guardian."

"I'm sorry again for being rude to you before," you apologized. "I didn't know whether I could trust you or not."

Mr. Lacitier smiled gently. "Your mother was just like that, you know," he murmured, gently tucking a strand of hair behind your ear with care. "She's a fierce one, she is."

"So I suppose you saw some bit of my mom in me?" you asked, offering a small smile in return.

"Mhmm." Mr. Lacitier then chuckled and sipped from his tea. "Oh, and I definitely saw something you inherited from your father-sharp brains." He gently poked your head and you giggled.

"Seriously, Mr. Lacitier, you haven't forgotten, have you? Hiro's the prodigy, not me!" you protested, laughing.

"Of course not! But you're smart in a special way," Mr. Lacitier grinned. "Speaking of which, have you finished your homework that Melanie gave you?"