Chapter 20--Poison

"Get dressed."

"What, why?"

"Just do as I say!"

You giggled as you threw the bundle of clothes in Hiro's direction. "You honestly want Melanie to see you in this?"

"You said I looked charming in this!" Hiro protested. "Besides, I don't mind being in this. When did this suddenly become such a big deal?"

"Get dressed, you worthless thing," you smirked, closing the door to your bedroom as you stretched again, excited to get to Melanie's soon. But before you could do anything else, you heard Mr. Lacitier call for you.

Curiosity got the better of you as you headed towards Mr. Lacitier's room, and you were surprised to see the vials and plants still out and strewn all over the room.

"Mr. Lacitier?" you asked upon entrance. "You alright?"

Mr. Lacitier sighed from his bed. "Hello, (Y/N)."

You looked at him with concern. "What's wrong?"

Mr. Lacitier sighed again. "I miss your mom and dad with every passing day, you know. It's not easy taking on your dad's job, you know. And with your mom gone, it's like we lost another star in the sky."

You sat beside Mr. Lacitier on the bed now, gently easing yourself on the bed. "Hey. I miss my parents too. And I know how hard it is for you to take on more responsibilities without my father around. But I'm not giving up on you, Mr. Lacitier. I know you'll be a great replacement for my father. And my mom will be smiling down on you too. I know she will." Then your eyes fell upon the plants and vials. "Um, what exactly are these?"

Mr. Lacitier got off the bed and headed over to the table with the vials, and you followed him, unsure of what to expect.

"These are my herbs and concoctions," he explained to you. "I'm not hoping to open an apothecary business, but since your mother and father died I wasn't sure what to do. I just wasn't ready."

"You can't just give up yet," you told him, picking up a certain vial.

"Well, some of these concoctions are meant for healing," he explained to you. "I mean, I have done some herbal medicines. But some of these are poisons. Though I assure you, none would be fast-acting for your father to die at such speed. Trust me."

You looked suspiciously at a certain vial with a dark blue liquid. "What's this made of?"

"Chrysanthemum, lavender, and some mint," he told you. "Gives the drinker some happy thoughts."

"What about this one?" you asked, pointing to a dark red vial.

"Poison ivy infused with yew," he said. "Gives the drinker boils."

"Are you telling me that some of your potions are meant to harm?" you asked quietly.

"Look, I—"

"No, it's okay!" You waved your hands. "Mr. Lacitier, I understand. I'm not kicking you out or anything. This would be great for things like pranks and stuff, but not for intended harm, okay? I mean..." You faltered as you fumbled for what to say. "Mr. Lacitier..."

"I assure you, none of these were used to kill your dad," he promised you. "Trust me."

You nodded. "Okay. I believe you."

Just as you said that, the phone rang.

"Oh shoot. I'll go get that," Mr. Lacitier said, exiting the room and running down the stairs as fast as his thin legs would go, just as Hiro showed up to see you in Mr. Lacitier's room.