Chapter 8--Mr. Lacitier

Days of mourning have now left you completely malnourished and suffering from thirst. Every day right after school, you went straight home, not even bothering to go to the Lucky Cat Cafe to work anymore. You didn't shut neither Hiro nor Melanie out, but you were just felt too miserable to get out and enjoy yourself again. 

It finally struck you, anyway.

You're an orphan.

But at least you could take care of yourself, right?

***********

Hiro: (Y/N)? Are you okay?

You tried to stifle a sob when you read Hiro's latest text in your room, one week after your mom's funeral. Of course, you two still hang out once in a while whenever you needed it, but you stopped working at the Cafe and Aunt Cass gave you two weeks to recover. You still remained in your old house because you didn't want to move away just yet, not when this place was so full of happy memories that you weren't ready to let go. 

That's it. Focus on the good things of the past. That should help, right?

(Y/N): I'm...okay, I guess.

Hiro: Just be honest with me. I won't laugh. 

Before you could respond, the doorbell of your house rang.

"Coming!" you cried, jumping from your bed and stuffing your phone in your pocket, running down the stairs and opening the front door.

The sight that you were greeted was...bizarre.

A tall lanky man stood in the front of your door, with a face so angular you could have sworn his face was like a triangle. His arms and legs are like sticks, absolutely thin and--in your mind's eye--spider-like. His feet were pretty big for one so skinny. He also wore a monocle over his right eye, which made you suspicious. His bags were piled over his feet.

Another man showed up to you happily, but all you felt was confusion. What is going on?

You heard your phone go DING in your pocket again signalling another text, but you couldn't answer it.

"Hello!" The second man greeted you with a bright smile. "Are you (Y/N) (Y/L/N), by any chance?"

You nodded. That was creepy.

The man smiled as he backed away and introduced you to the man with spider legs and arms. "Ms. (Y/L/N), may I introduce to you, Mr. Lacitier. He is going to be your new guardian!"

(A.N. Lacitier = lah-see-tee-AY)

"Whoa, what?!" you cried, backing away as well. 

"Mr. Lacitier has been your father's colleague and your mom's close friend," the man continued on. "He has no children of his own, you see, and he never married. He decided to arrange this with me and voila! You now have a new guardian!"

You scrunched your face up in slight surprise and disgust. "So...who exactly are you?" you asked.

"I'm your parents' lawyer, of course!" The man smiled at you again.

"Hm." You crossed your arms and glared at both the laywer and Mr. Lacitier. "Well, I'm perfectly fine living here on my own."

"I didn't think so," the lawyer contradicted, putting his hands on his hips. "You're under 18, which means that you need a guardian."

"Legally, yes. But from my personal judgment, no," you snapped back.

"No need to be so rude," Mr. Lacitier finally spoke, putting some space between you and the lawyer.