Chapter 4--School

Head remained bowed.

Eyes remained glued to the floor.

Feet moved you forward.

Shoves pushed you over much too quickly.

"Watch where you're going, you nerd," you heard a rough male voice shout. You bitterly turned your head in the general direction of the whereabouts of the voice and gave him your death glare before you heard loud laughter come from your left.

"Ahh, if it's not for (Y/N)," you heard the snobbiest girl in your grade, Trudy, sneer at you, flipping her red curly hair at you. "She's so focused on schoolwork that she doesn't care about her family falling apart. Oh, wait. She doesn't even know how to keep her family together!"

You felt the hot tears burn again, running to the closest bathroom. Gods. Just why did these people have to ruin it for you, every single day you were here since your father died? And what made your friends leave you? You never seemed to understand these sudden changes. This definitely took a toll on you, but you decided to clear yourself up and stand up for yourself, for the sake of Hiro.

Too soon, you heard the bell ring, signaling the first period of classes. You groaned as you headed off to English class, your first class of the day, where you knew Trudy was going to show up and continue making a fool of you.

"Hey," you heard a kind voice behind you, just as you reached the classroom.

You turned immediately to face another girl, around your age, with long dark brown hair and green eyes and a kind smile. She was wearing a cute beige sweater with a beautiful butterfly graphic on the front, and faded blue jeans with typical black sneakers.

"Um, hi," you waved quickly. "Um, you're new here, right? I haven't seen you around before."

The girl smiled. "Yeah, I'm new. My name is Melanie."

You grinned back. "Pleased to meet you. I'm (Y/N)."

The two of you shook hands and went into the classroom, you figuring that Melanie was now in your English class. As you did so, you heard Trudy boldly shout, "Hey NERD! Oh look at that, you found a new friend! A FREAK!"

The rest of the class laughed and chanted along with Trudy, "NERD AND FREAK! NERD AND FREAK!"

"Just ignore them," Melanie whispered to you, and you nodded. Of course, you already knew to ignore them since they started this whole humiliation act. Still, you were thankful Melanie was here.

"ALRIGHT, SETTLE DOWN!" your English teacher cried for attention. Then when the classroom settled down, the lessons began.

**********************

"Hey Hiro!" Honey Lemon greeted him with a wide smile as he entered the robotics lab at SFIT.

"Hey Honey Lemon," Hiro waved back. He immediately retreated to his lab and set his stuff down before joining the rest of the gang.

"...been a while," Gogo was saying. "Ugh, that stupid wheel I can't get right."

"What's going on, Hiro?" Wasabi asked Hiro, upon his entrance.

Hiro took a deep breath, uncertain of how to explain the situation that was greatly bugging him. "Well...do you guys remember how Tadashi died, and you guys noticed how withdrawn I was from the rest of you?"

The gang nodded as they recalled those moments.

"Dark times," Fred added somberly.

"Well, there was this girl I came across yesterday," Hiro continued. "She was Aunt Cass's new employee, and she's my age. Her name is (Y/N). But that's not important...the situation that she landed herself in is pretty depressing."