Chapter 13--Prep for Fight

"No way." The shock in Melanie's voice rang from the speaker of the home phone into Hiro's ear.

"Way," Hiro confirmed with her. "But how Callaghan got out of jail, I don't know."

"Hold up." On the other end of the line, Melanie brought out from her bag a pen and a pad of paper. "Callaghan? You mean Robert Callaghan?"

"Yeah," Hiro nodded. "He stole my microbots and started the fire that caused my older brother's death!"

"Funny enough," Melanie piped up, annoyance evident in her voice. "He was the driver who crashed into us and caused the death of my younger sister!"

"We can't lose (Y/N), then," Hiro concluded. "You probably figured it out, Melanie. (Y/N) and I are...well...I just..."

Tears started flowing from Hiro's eyes, but he managed to hold them back to stop them from spilling onto the floor.

"I figured," Melanie said.

Hiro nodded. "I don't want to lose her! She's lost too much. I've lost a lot too."

"And I also lost someone close," Melanie added. "But what can we do?"

"Hey, I'll spill you a secret." Hiro then told her about Big Hero 6 and how they were formed to help a lot of people in memory of Tadashi.

"Sounds awesome!" Melanie cried. "Hey, you think I can join you? (Y/N) is my best friend too, you know."

Hiro chuckled. "Of course! We can give you upgrades and then you can fight alongside us."

Melanie nodded. "Okay. Should I come over right now so we can get down to business as soon as possible? The earlier the better."

"Yeah, of course!" Hiro agreed. "I'll see you at the Cafe, then?"

"Sounds good," Melanie said. "I'll see you soon!"

"See you soon," Hiro said, hanging up.

It wasn't long before Melanie showed up, and Hiro approached her.

"Hey Melanie," Hiro waved.

"Hey Hiro," Melanie greeted him. "Okay, so I've got a general design and my desired upgrades on this notepad. If we can get this armour done tonight, we can get to (Y/N) sooner."

"Sounds good," Hiro smiled, leading Melanie to the garage and scanning her and giving her all the upgrades she wanted. When he was done, he held up a fiery orange suit to her.

"Try it on," he encouraged her.

And Melanie did, marveling at how flexible the black jumpsuit was so that she was still able to move around and do whatever she could. With a touch of a button on her left arm, she could shoot out ropes from her hand, and Hiro even incorporated micro-neurotransmitters so that she could control how the ropes move around, and even command them to retract if she didn't need them. If she pressed the button twice, she found that she could shoot out a properly woven net. Hiro also incorporated a radio system in Melanie's helmet, and along with her outfit came a belt which shot out a rope to suspend herself on the ceiling to attack from above.

"Whoa," Melanie said in awe, the moment she landed on the ground and retracted the rope from her waist back into her belt. "No wonder (Y/N) loves you! You are such a genius!"

"Hey, she actually doesn't know we're superheroes yet," Hiro reminded her. "Any time soon she'll know...but I don't know if she'll like me after."

"Do you like her that way?" she asked him gently.

Hiro nodded. "I already confessed to her. Even you figured it out."

"Then she'll love you no matter what," Melanie smiled. "Superhero or not, she won't judge. You'll always be Hiro to her, regardless."