Chapter Seven

"They're running tests on the fence".

"They're what" I blurt out. Zoning back into what Penelope was saying.

"Dove, are you listening to anything I said?" she asks. I look at her wide eyed and very much intrigued. This is the first time I'd about it.

"How's it going?"I ask, trying my best to not seem too interested but also desperately wanting to know the answer.

Penelope put down her hairbrush and turned around to face me, as I sit on her bed.

"Well it must be working fine. No one's got over the fence and the alarm hasn't been set off recently, they must've learnt their lesson" she explains. The reminder of her stance on Lawless causes any thought I had of telling her of the recent events to vanish. I nod and fiddle with my fingers while she goes back to brushing her hair. 

The front door slams and the sound of boots stomping through the first story and into the kitchen is heard.

"Dad's home" Penelope announces and walks to the door. I follow her down the hallway and into the kitchen. Mr Pope is at the fridge chugging a bottle of water, still dressed in the High Class uniform.

"Hey Dad" Penelope goes up to him and kisses him on the cheek. "How was your day?"

"Good. Where's dinner?" his gruff voice rings through the kitchen. The lack of acknowledgement towards me isn't surprising and comes expectantly.

"I'll start it now" he nods and heads up the stairs. "Are you staying for dinner, Dove?" Penelope asks.

I shake my head "no, I should head home" I reply.

After a hug goodbye, I gather my bag and head towards the door.

I walk along the path towards my house, hesitantly looking towards Lawless side of the fence. I'm unable to see anything though, considering it's pitch black except for the occasional street lamp.

I open the front door into the quiet house. Ma sits at the dining room table with magazines and photos spread out everywhere. Her glasses sit on her nose, curly hair a mess piled on top of her head.

"Dove! Where've you been?" I go to open my mouth to answer "doesn't matter, come sit we need to sort this out" she huffs.

Scattered over the table are cut-outs of wedding dresses, cakes and receptions. My face pales as I realise she's planning the wedding.

"Ma I-I dont want to marry Jace" I stutter out. Her eyes flash to me, firstly with anger but once she sees my face the look softens, shocking me. Ma has never been the motherly type.

She open her mouth to answer when Dad walks into the dining room.

"You're marrying Jace, Dove. You've known this since you were a child, I dont want to hear it anymore" he grumbles, not willing to listen to my point of view.

I sigh and sit down across from Ma. For the next two hours we sit and go over everything. It consisted mostly of Ma picking out everything and me just agreeing with her. By the end, almost everything had been picked out except for the dress; Ma said we'd have to pick it out in person.

I retreat to my room as soon as I can, had a shower and cried myself to sleep.

*

I get up early the next morning and find myself back on the hill, overlooking the fields again. I sit down and watch along the fence line, waiting for any movement to catch my eye. It is cold this morning and dew covers the ground and flowers while fog sat low on the trees.

Nothing moves though. I sit for two hours waiting, without a sign. I get up and dust my butt off. I'm wearing jeans, boots and a jumper today along with a beanie.