Chapter TwentyFour

"Dove" Sage states. I look over my shoulder at him as I'm standing at the window looking down at the people gathering in the front yard, no doubt preparing for Sage's departure.

Sage showers and dresses in his usual black outfit of a shirt, jeans and boots. The sight reminding me of the first time I met him, when he caught me in the dark and put a knife to my neck. The memory seems like a life time ago.

"You going to be okay here?" Sage asks. I watch him without answering as he rummages through the drawers. He looks up at my silence and I give him a nod.

I look back outside the window, seeing Ivy, Gunner and Serge preparing the car to take Sage up to the path that leads to the fence. The breeze sneaks in through the cracks within the glass panels and raises goose bumps along my arm.

A clinking noise is heard behind me, I turn my head to look at Sage noticing it was a gun he had pulled out of the drawer. My mouth falls open; I hadn't known that Sage kept a gun in there.

He checks it out, making sure it works before shoving it into the back of his jeans. He then reaches back into the drawer and pulls out a knife, bending and sticking it in his boot.

Sage slams the drawer closed and turns towards me, pushing his hair off of his forehead and stopping once he notices I'm standing in place with my mouth hanging open.

"What?" he grunts and looks around. I stare for a second longer before shaking my head in a 'don't worry'.

Banging on the bedroom door makes me jump.

"Let's go, Rage" calls Gabe from the other side of the door. Sage growls lowly in his throat before Gabe's footsteps walk further away.

"You ready?" I ask Sage as I look out towards the front yard again. I feel Sage walk up behind me, his chest rubbing my back and his breath blowing along the side of my face. He releases an 'hmm' softly as we both look outside the windows.

His nose buries into my hair and his hand grips my hip, giving it a squeeze before turning and making his way towards the door. I don't want to be upstairs while everyone else watches him leave.

"Can I come with you?" I ask hesitantly.

"No" Sage quickly shuts it down, his voice stern. Shivers run down my back, causing my legs to liquefy in oddly the best way.

My mouth hangs open slightly for a second while my brain processes the answer; I wasn't expecting the sharp snap to his reply. I watch as his shoulders hunch and his brows pull together, obviously out of anger.

My mouth snaps shut as I realise Sage thought I was asking to accompany him to Class.

"No, no, I want to see you off" I clarify. Sage's features relax slightly, unnoticeable to most people. The hours of time spent alone watching Sage's features and emotions allowing me to pick up on the slightest of changes.

Sage turns around, his eyes looking out the window at the people gathering before looking back at me.

He nods his head towards the door as a yes. A smile makes its way onto my face as I walk to Sage. I look up and realise he's watching me closely, his eyes zoned in on my smile. My cheeks blush when he doesn't look away.

Sage snaps out of it before pushing me gently out the door, closing it behind us.

*

"You got everything?" Serge questions Sage. Everybody gathers around the jeep waiting for Gabe and Serge to drop Sage off.

Sage grunts in reply to Serge. I stand back as everyone buzzes around the car, filling it with petrol and double checking the engine. I can count the amount of times I'd seen a working car in my life. The only people who had a vehicle in Class are High Class and they barely use it in Class due to Class being small enough to walk everywhere.