Chapter ThirtyNine

I jump awake at the banging coming from the door and notice the sunlight that now fills the room.

"Unlock the door!" Jace screams from the other side. I stumble to my feet, looking left and right in hopes of an exit but find nothing.

"Now, Dove! Open it" he continues, the door handle rattling roughly.

I make my way to the door, taking a deep breath before unlocking it and quickly stepping back.

The door swings open harshly and Jace stands on the other side, fuming.

"This door stays unlocked at all times, got it?" he seethes, teeth clenched. I nod in an attempt to not piss him off any further.

Jace's eyes skim the room, looking for anything out of place. His eyes come back to me once he finds nothing. His eyes roam from my toes to my head, making my skin crawl. His eyes zoom in on my hands.

My breath hitches, remembering that Sage had thrown my engagement ring out the window of his house. I do my best to cover my left hand with my right but it's no use, he'd already seen it.

"Where's your ring?" he says almost in shock as he walks into the room, closer to me. I back up but he's faster and makes up the distance faster than I can put space between us.

"Where's your fucking ring, Dove!" I flinch at the outburst and pull away when he reaches for my left hand, grabbing it harshly.

"I-I dont know!" I exclaim, doing my best to push his hands away. I can't tell him Sage threw it away, they'd just make his punishments worse.

His chest puffs as he takes deep breaths in and out through his nose. His eyes change, switching to a deadly black colour in seconds. I prepare to shield myself from the imminent outburst.

"That was my mother's!" he screams in my face, spit hitting my cheeks. The entire house becomes silent, the distance sounds of cutlery banging together pauses and footsteps stop in their way.

Jace's eyes are wild as he stares at me, waiting for an explanation. My mind is blank; the only thought being of how Jace doesn't know Lydia is alive.

I breathe a silent sigh of relief when the sound within the house picks up again, the sound of someone walking towards us becomes louder, the closer they get.

My eyes zoom in on my brother when he appears in the doorway, hands behind his back. He doesn't make eye contact with me; he only stares at Jace's back.

"It was Creed wasn't it?" Jace grabs tighter at my wrist making me whimper in pain, his palm crushing my bones. "That fucker took it" he seethes.

"Boss" Max calls from the doorway.

"What" Jace yells as he spins, his back now to me.

"Sir Walter needs your presence in the experimental chamber" Max says with his chest, Jace chuckles, turning back to me.

"Anything you want me to tell Creed?" he hisses before spinning and leaving, Max moves out of the doorway as he barges past.

A dry sob escapes my mouth. Sage's mind would be harder to crack than Tom's but who knows what they do there. Even if they don't kill him, he won't be the same after this.

Max hovers for a second when he hears my sob before following behind Jace, leaving the bedroom door wide open.

*

After a couple of hours sitting on the edge of the bed, watching people walk back and forth along the hall through my open doorway, I stand to my feet in the hopes of finding some way out.