Chapter Sixteen

"I told you to never come back here" he growls deep in his chest. I feel my face pale as he lets go of my waist and rests his forearms on the drywall next to my head as his cheek skims mine, his cigarette dangerously close to my face.

Sage puffs out a breath of smoke into the wall, making it bounce back into my face. Surprisingly I'm not a spluttering mess when I inhale it, although the taste is far from pleasant.

I say nothing in reply to Sage, not wanting to add to his anger.

We remain like that for several more minutes as Sage finishes off his cigarette. He squeezes his body impossible closer to mine as people begin to move back within the vicinity of us. The electricity flies through every nerve ending in my body and I briefly wonder if he feels it too.

The cigarette drops to the floor and is squished by Sage's boot before I'm pulled off the wall and made to walk in front of Sage. His body close behind me, guiding me through the crowd.

We make our way back to the fire drum in the main room. Sage's friends are still camped out around it and Gunner is back in his desired chair, Ivy, once again, occupying his lap.

The group conversation ends as they see us walking towards them. I stop briefly, unsure of what to do but am quickly moving again when Sage presses a hand to my hip. The contact making my entire body flush.

I'm guided to the only empty chair while Sage takes up the spot behind it, standing close with his arms crossed, making them bulge.

"Long time, no see" Ivy winks at me, the gesture bringing slight comfort to me. I'm unsure whether anyone here knows that I'm from Class and I wonder briefly what the threat to me would be if they did know.

"Hi Ivy" I say back with a shy smile. Gunner watches our interaction with curiosity, his arm tightening around Ivy's waist. The three unnamed men are all muscular looking, sitting with their legs spread. Two have brown hair and one is blonde.

I tune into what's being said between them. Ivy also seems to be listening in although she's trying her best to not making it obvious.

"When's the next run?" the blonde asks. Everyones attention swings to him as he looks past me, towards Sage.

I feel Sage's body shift in a shrug "don't know, you're not going though" he replies. The blonde guy looks offended and opens his mouth to argue but Sage beats him to it. "You nearly costed us last time" I hear the clinking of Sage's lighter as he lights up again.

It becomes obvious that they're talking about when Sage stayed the night in my room due to the fence alarm being triggered. I guess the blonde guy had something to do with it.

"It was an accident, my foot slipped" the guy sits forward, elbows leaning on his knees, his eyes pleading.

"I said no, Hunter" Sage replies in a low grumble; the conversation beginning to irk him. Hunter sits back in his chair sulking while continuing to drink his beer.

"I'll go with you" Gunner volunteers. Ivy's brows pull together in disagreement.

"No, you won't" she spits. Gunner takes no notice of Ivy's refusal as he looks over my head at Sage.

"She's right, you're leg is fucked" Sage says. The bandage noticeably bulges beneath Gunner's pant leg.

"Ryder and Gabe, you're coming with me" Sage says. The two brunettes nod in agreement staring into the fire.

"You'll have to go soon, we're running out fast" Gunner says to Sage. Sage says nothing for a while before replying with a nod, running a hand through his hair.