Chapter TwentyNine

Sage's POV

I grip tightly at the door handle on the car as the uneven ground rocks the car side to side. Serge's anger taking over his driving skills.

We hit a pothole sending us nearly hitting our heads on the ceiling. "Easy!" Gunner barks from the backseat. Serge says nothing, only speeds up further.

Those fucking High Class fuckers blowing up our shit. The thought that they had ruined one of our peoples livelihoods made me angry and the thought that they had killed someone and Dove would get the blame sets the last calm nerve in my body on fire.

The Main Street of Lawless comes into view. Black smoke bellows from the location that once stood Al's grocer. Nobody is seen in the streets; no doubt they saw High Class and ran like hell. I can only hope Al wasn't in the grocer when it exploded.

Serge pulls off to the side, we jump out before he's even stopped the car, pulling our guns and aiming them around, looking for any form of movement.

High Class are nowhere to be seen but they could still be around.

"Oh, thank god you're here" I swing my gun around, aiming it at Al as he comes out from a nearby store; I lower it once I recognise him.

"What happened, Al?" Serge asks. Al wipes at his nose and face as he blabbers to Serge, tears and snot falling freely. Half his body is covered in soot, clothes ripped and torn, and in some places burnt.

"I don't know! They just turned up and threw something into the grocer a-and then boom!" he stutters out, arms moving around animatedly. The hysteria evident in his voice and expression.

I breathe a silent breath of relief knowing Al hadn't been hurt.

"Who was it, Al?" Gunner questions as he kicks a burnt can, watching it skid along the road.

"Jace Hunt" he confirms. The anger burns behind my eyes. I knew it was that fucker. The last thing he'd ever get from Lawless is Dove.

I feel the heat of Serge's eyes on the side of my face. I growl low in my throat, the sound unheard by everyone else over the crackling and booms echoing from the grocer as the flames tear through the rest of the structure.

"Fuck, mate" Gunner says from behind me as we watch the bellowing smoke. People start to come out from wherever they were hiding. The men grab buckets of water from the surrounding buildings and throw it onto the flames.

I say nothing to Gunner as I make my way over to Mrs Ross, grabbing a bucket off of her as she hands them out. Gunner, Ryder and Gabe follow my actions as Serge does his best to get the most information out of a sobbing Al.

"Hey, Rage" I look over and watch as the girls that occupy the Main Street watch on, smoking cigarettes and doing nothing to help. Lylah being the one to call out to me as she twirls a strand of hair around her finger, her tanned legs crossed and barely covered by the short denim that sits loosely on her waist.

Her eyes twinkle when she notices my eyes dragging up her legs and she takes a step towards me. I notice her intentions and turn away.

The fire is almost completely extinguished now, the charred remains the only thing left of what used to be Lawless' grocery.

I make my way into the building, keeping an eye out for the falling roof. I have my shirt up over my nose to stop the inhalation of smoke into my already shitty lungs.

"Carful, Rage" Serge calls from the outside. The soot in the air clings to my sweat drenched skin, collecting in any crease it can find.

The grocery is beyond repair and will most likely have to be torn down. The inside is unrecognisable, the food incinerated and the cash register on the ground, partially coaled.