Chapter Fifteen

The sky is dark, clouds cover the moon and stars, the only thing lighting up the path along the fence; being street lamps. I stand under the fence, gazing up at it, the height once again surprising me.

I take a deep breath as I think over what I am about to do. I glance around, Penelope's bedroom window is open and her bedroom light is on. I could just stay with her until I am forgiven? That doesn't make the debt disappear though.

The guilt is lessened by knowing I am more or so being forced out rather than choosing to leave. Living at Sir Walters house was never an option.

"Hey!" shouts a voice. I freeze, unsure whether to run or answer him. I turn around as the familiar guard that almost caught me when I came home from Lawless walks up to me, dog by his side. He holds a torch in one hand and the dog leash in the other.

I raise my hand to shield my eyes from the blinding light. I see my house over the guards shoulder and pray to god my family don't notice the commotion.

"What're you doing out here?" the guard asks, lowering his voice from a shout.

My heart is about to beat out of my chest as I start to sweat along my back and neck.

"Just going to a friends house" I spit out, somehow without stuttering.

The guard watches my face for a moment before looking to my bag and nodding his head.

"What's in the bag?" he asks as the torch light shines on it.

"Overnight clothes" I say. The guard hums and slowly nods before something behind me grabs his attention. The torch light once on my bag swings to over my shoulder as he looks beyond the fence and into Lawless.

I still as the realisation that Sage or Axel could have attracted his attention makes me nervous. I hadn't heard anything so what had caught his attention?

The guard swings the torch light along the bushes behind me for a further minute before bringing his attention back to me.

"Have a good evening, Miss" he nods his head in a goodbye before turning around and going back the way he came. The dog keeps looking back at me, almost like he knows what I'm up to.

Once the guard rounds the corner, I give one last look at my surroundings before swinging my arm back and launching my bag over the fence. It lands in a pile on the other side, the sound making me wince, reminding me of my body landing the same way.

I don't bother looking back as I ascend the fence. My feet and hands finding the correct grooves Sage had shown me. My breath gets stuck in my throat as my right foot slips and nearly causes me to fall backwards.

I get to the top in record time with the help of adrenaline. This part was the hard part, having to turn around and avoid the barbed wire.

With calming breaths and taking my time I eventually make it to the other side. Once my feet land on Lawless territory a flush of relief fills me, along with sadness. My family would know what I'd done when morning comes and I would never be welcomed home.

My childhood home is still visible through the fence as the lights shut off from within as everyone goes to bed.

I see the flash of a torch light about to round the corner of a house and come into view. I quickly run over to my bag, grabbing it and running into the bush. I find the path that leads me to Lawless in no time and start on my way, leaving my old life behind.

It's not far into my journey when I hear the voices of several men walking closer, the shrub rustling as they push it out of their way.

I move off the path and hide behind a tree before any of them have the chance to see me. There are three of them, all tall and muscular. They push each other and joke around, being too loud with Class only around the corner.