Chapter 42 - The Unsaid

Strolling down the expansive lawn under the pomegranate pink sky, Arnav approached Shirley, who was sitting on one of the lower steps of the staircase that led to the cottage. Evening settled slowly around them with a display of sunset colours that changed with each deepening stage of their journey. Shirley's eyes darted over a group of frolicking men who had turned a small part of the garden into a football field. And amongst them was Kabir, talking, teasing, smiling, laughing, joking as he kicked the ball around.

"Chhoti! Glad you are here at last." Arnav sighed as he sat down next to her. "My brother was like a fish out of water without you. I was beginning to get worried."

"You still intend to call me that." A shy smile lit her lips, her eyes focussed on Kabir, who at that moment was teaching Nikhil a weird kind of dance. His face looked relaxed. More relaxed than she had ever seen it. He looked happy and was laughing wholeheartedly when Nikhil was trying to match his moves step by step. It sent a flood of warmth rushing through her, making her swallow a lump of tears in her throat. "Aren't you joining them?" She asked him, clearing her throat.

"I will. After I speak to you."

The smile slipped, and she went quiet for a moment. "I am sorry I didn't make it to the lunch at Eddie's."

"Not a problem. I presume it was deliberate."

She laughed as she glanced at him. "Absolutely." Her eyes then inevitably found her man again, and her heart twisted inside her chest. "It's going to be hard facing the beautiful and stunning reason for my turmoil all these years all over again. Let's just say I was busy getting my heart ready to feel insecure again."

He looked at her for a moment, circled an arm around her for a quick hug, and pulled away. "That beautiful, stunning reason has an equally beautiful heart. Perhaps she loves you more now because you love Kabir so much. You should have come."

"Is this how love sounds when it takes the form of words?" She glanced at him again. "You are always so sure about her, Arnav. You know her so well."

Arnav looked away and swallowed. "I have known her almost all my life, Chhoti."

"I know, I know." She said, shaking her head. "See, that's the problem. Kabir has spent enough years convincing me of the fact that she is the perfect girl. And then he spent an equal amount of time trying to get over her! So, anyone showering more compliments on her makes me feel inadequate as if I won't ever measure up." She clasped her hands in her lap and turned to look at Kabir once again.

"There is no comparison, and there can never be." He turned towards her. "People spend a lot of time and energy in their lives trying to compare themselves to every chalk and cheese out there, Shirley. But one has to realise that essentially, every person is different, ugly and beautiful in a unique way. Why compare? Especially when doing so won't change anything or anyone." He looked into her eyes. "I don't know what is going on in your head, but I can assure you this. Chhotu will never be with you because of some obligation or fancy. He can never do that to anyone, especially you. You mean that much to him. He is with you only because he feels you are the one for him. The courageous one. The confident one. The one with a heart that knows patience. A heart that knows how to love someone. Everyone could take a lesson or two from you, Shirley."

"And you would think that matters." She chuckled.

"And you think it doesn't?" He frowned as he looked into her eyes. "This is not the Shirley I have been speaking to for four years! What happened here?"

She sighed. "I don't know. Khushi makes me nervous. She's special for you, perfect for Bir and the apple of your parent's eyes. Everyone just—adores her, loves her. It's not her fault, and she has done nothing wrong, but still — and you know, I had not met her for so long, and all this time I was getting used to the concept of she being just an illusion in Bir's head. Now, after so many years, here she is. A stunningly beautiful reality and I find myself breaking into a sweat for no reason. I know it's silly, but—"