Chapter 11 - Closing Doors

August 24th, 1993
Pune

"Pi! I can smell samosas!" Khushi squealed as she closed the door behind her.

Her mouth had watered as the smell of samosas wafted through the hallway as soon as she had entered Akash's house. She was late, hideously late. She was meant to be there an hour ago to help Payal decorate Akash's room and the terrace for his birthday. Payal would not be a happy bunny right now, but there was little she could do about it. She had been delayed at college in a lab session with an irritatingly meticulous professor who had decided to view her lab work in detail until the late hours of the afternoon.

"Where were you, Khush?" Kabir caught Khushi in the hallway. "I have been waiting for you like a —I mean there is so much to do here!" He fumbled for words as he saw Payal walking up to them.

An awkward silence hung between the three. Without a moment of hesitation, Payal dragged Khushi into the kitchen to show her the spread for the party, and before she could say anything to her, she saw Kabir follow them into the kitchen.

"Akky ji loves samosas! So the girl went all out of her way to arrange it from SnackBar, hain na Pi?" Kabir held Payal's chin gently and chuckled.

"Kabir, stop it!" Payal admonished him brushing his hand away and quickly glanced at Khushi, who was staring at her. 

"No, it's beautiful —what you and Akash share, Pi." Kabir mumbled staring at Khushi with such intense longing that it made her look away immediately.

There had to be a place in her world where he was not around, Khushi thought dejectedly. She walked past them and hurriedly climbed the stairs to step into a very colourfully decorated room, followed by Payal and Kabir. "Oh boy!" She squealed in surprise. "Are you serious? We have balloons for his birthday?"

"It's been a while!" Payal said sheepishly. "Thoda bachpana chalta hain na Sakhi. Even if he is embarrassed, a part of his heart will be happy, I hope."

Khushi smiled and checked the terrace. "Where's Arnav?"

"Shopping with Ma. He must be on his way." Kabir replied as he hopped off a stool he had been standing on to mount some of the balloons on the wall. "So, Pi —what are you gifting Akky besides the obvious?" He asked with a smirk on his face.

"Bachchu, tu maar khaayega aaj!" Payal chided him and threw a cushion at him as she settled down on a couch. Khushi sat down next to her after grabbing a packet of crisps.

They were waiting for the three musketeers — Akash, Arnav and Nikhil —to show up. As they discussed the whereabouts of the boys, they realised that one of them needed to pick up the cake.

"Chal Khush, let's get the cake." Kabir said to her as he knotted another balloon and tied a string to it. "I'll need someone to carry it. I won't be able to do it while riding the bike."

Payal frowned, getting edgy with Kabir's behaviour. She was aware of how it affected Khushi and saw how she was struggling to handle the situation. "I'll come with you." Pi said before Khushi could reply to him.

"You stay Pi. If Akash drops by before time unexpectedly, you are the only one who can keep him busy!" He winked looking at her.

"We can get the cake later." Payal suggested, not willing to back down. "There's no need to rush. Nikhil can go with you once he gets here."