Chapter Twenty Six - Red Letter Day

He was lying on his back, one arm flung wide over the bed, the duvet twisted about him like a cord when his eyes flickered open for the umpteenth time in the night. Tossing and turning, he tried hard to find the right position to settle into, but just like any other night in his life, his body struggled to give into the much-coveted slumber. A loud rumble in the sky woke him up fully, and he groaned as an eager draught of cold air slipped in through the small gap of the vent above the large window near his bed, forcing him to get off his bed to close it. He stood by the window and welcomed the dark silence before the dawn. Soon the sun's golden rays would shoot across the sky swallowing the gibbous moon hung high above the clouds and bring him the much-awaited daylight. Soon the welcome buzz and impending activities for the day would put an end to his battle against sleep like every other night.

Ignoring the numerous thoughts that tumbled through his mind, he decided to change and head to the twenty-four hours gym in the block of apartments he had moved into a year ago. It was Sunday, which meant he had more time on his hands to spend in the indoor swimming pool and to work his body to exhaustion in the gym. Only then, maybe, his body would be gifted with the desired and well-deserved slumber.

Arnav changed into his regular sports gear and entered the sleek, well equipped and spotless kitchen inside his one-bedroom penthouse overlooking the river. He picked up an apple from the fruit bowl and headed towards the large leather sofa in the living room. He flicked on the Bloomberg channel on the television and was about to turn up the volume when the phone rang next to him, making him jump. He felt his body tense in worry as he glanced at the Tag Heuer on his wrist with a frown on his face before answering it.

"Hello?"

"I know I woke you up, but I won't apologise, Trader Saahab."

The voice surprised him, and his lips curled into a smile instantly. "I wouldn't want you to, Mathur, but it's quite clear you don't care a fig about my sleep!" He said with a chuckle.

"Can sleep be traded as a rare commodity, Mr Trader?" Akash laughed "Because it is going to become exactly that in my life very soon!"

"Really?" Arnav asked as he made himself comfortable on the sofa "Nightwatchman ki part-time naukri pakad li?" He teased, trying hard to dim the smile that had lit up his face as he took another bite of the apple.

"It's worse than that," Akash chuckled. "I am getting married."

"What?" Arnav stopped munching on the apple as he tried to make sense of what Akash was saying. "What!"

"I am getting married, saale! Aur kya?!"

Arnav greeted his words with a pin drop silence on the line. It took him a few moments to recover from the unexpected loss of words. "Bloody hell!Congratulations to both of you!" Arnav croaked in shock. "Dammit, did you get Pi into trouble ....?"

"Kamine!!" Akash guffawed with the thought. "I was held at gunpoint. I had no choice!"

"Hard to believe, Mathur, but I'll allow you the drama." Arnav smiled, a feeling of happiness suffusing his body realising how happy Akash sounded to him over the phone.

"Don't ask, brother! Was ordered to get married by both families today early morning over a joint family breakfast! I have been put through a heavy emotional blackmailing session and left alive to tell the tale!" He chuckled. "Long story short, I have the offer letter for the job in Singapore I spoke to you about, and now folks want me to get married and take Payal along with me. I guess her parents are worried I might not come back for her." Akash yelped in pain as Payal pinched his arm.

"Double celebration! Congratulations, Akky! Brilliant news I've heard in a long, long time! I am so happy for both of you! I cannot —" Arnav swallowed hard, unable to contain the happiness inside his heart.