Chapter 49 - Mine

"Bhai!" Kabir snatched the book out of Arnav's hand. "Where were you all morning? No one knew where you were! What if Khush needed you for something? And how can you lie down so coolly reading—" He frowned at the title of the book and shook his head. "— God, I can't even pronounce that damn name – that whatever book?"

Arnav's startled eyes threw him an annoyed look. Muttering something under his breath, he released a long sigh staring at his brother. "What do you want me to do, Chhotu?" Locking his hands behind his head, crossing one leg over the other on his bed. "Hmm?"

"What do you mean what do you want me to do?" Kabir blew out a breath called frustration. "Udhar Baba ji paagal hogaye hain, and here you are, lazying around like nothing has rocked your world!" He ran his fingers through his hair. "Poor Khush, I have no clue what she must be going through right now! Do something!"

"Baba ji?" A smile spread across Arnav's face. "Now that's unique. Until yesterday he was Kaka, wasn't he?"

"Until yesterday, he was a sensible man!"

"Well, we haven't been on our best behaviour." Arnav grimaced, pushing himself upright on the bed. "What did you expect him to do? Bring mithhai to our house after he saw us?" He paused, "Chhotu, if it had been my daughter or yours, main toh saale ko thhok deta!" He added with a wink. "So let's just thank god Kaka hasn't thrashed me to a pulp yet."

Kabir was still staring at him, a look of disbelief still stuck on his face. "You think this is funny? How can you be this —are you not worried about Khush at all? Bechari!" A look of irritation crossed his face.

"Kaun bechari? Meri biwi?" Arnav's laugh was low and deep, a sound of a very confident man who knew his woman well. "You know she would swallow the likes of Baba ji and Amma ji for breakfast and not even spit the bones, right?"

Kabir stared at his brother in dismay. "I don't believe you are saying this! She must be in tears. I am sure he must have given her some grief. At least call her and ask her what's going on!"

Arnav picked up the book lying at his feet. "My tigress is okay, Chhotu, or I would have known about it by now. There must be tension in the house because Kaka is angry, but he loves her a lot. And she won't say a thing to him because she loves and respects him too. Also, you forget that Kaki is there with her. Everything is alright, relax. I am seeing her today evening anyway." He said with a smile. "And about the call, I can't call and get her into trouble if Kaka is in this mood. She will call me, Chhotu. Most probably around his nap time, which should be—" He glanced at his watch, "—anytime now."

"Waah! Look at that confidence! Show off!" Kabir grinned. "I know you know your Khush well, but this is taking it to another level, Bhai! Won't you want to assure her that you are there for her and she doesn't have to worry about anything?"

"You mean.. tell her something she knows already?" Arching a brow and smiling smugly, he turned his head to the book again. He kept flipping through the pages of the book to find the one he had been on with a slight frown on his face. "And next time you want to snatch a book, bookmark the damn page!" He paused, "And no! Bookmarking doesn't mean dog-earing! In fact, don't do anything. Just stay away from my books."

"Fine." Kabir shook his head. "I don't understand you, and I don't understand her either. Majnu is reading some finance-related bullshit, and Laila is not in an emotional mess crying day and night for him! What kind of love story is this?" He threw up his hands in the air in sheer exasperation. "But on a serious note, Bhai, if push comes to shove, all Khush has to do is step out of the house for two minutes, and I can take her off wherever you want me to, and no one will find her. You can do a court marriage and — in fact, leave all the arrangements to me. I'll handle everything."