Chapter Twenty Three - Through The Wringer(2)

Arnav stared at the yellow ball of fire dip behind the mountains gradually, the sky emblazoned in fiery colours which reflected the intensity of the pain in his heart. The beauty of nature intensified the emotions he felt in those fleeting moments as sky gleamed in the last rays of the dying sun. In a few hours, he would have spent a whole painful day without meeting Khushi, something he thought he couldn't afford to do given how less the time he had with her was before he flew back to London. She had always known what she had been doing. His mind reminded himself while battling his anger and his longing for her.

"Dammit, I never had any fan following! I was the fan who was following Anjali. The first time I met her, I knew she was big trouble. I ran for my life, but in a circle like an idiot, and landed right in front of her again!" Nikhil's voice pierced through his thoughts and brought his attention back to the small empty bottle of beer in his hand.

"Akky, I'll have some more, can you please open another one for me?" Arnav said looking at Akash who was eyeing him askance.

"I like this idea of being drunk on Christmas Eve, boys. From here, we head straight to the concert! Now, this is serious fun!" Nikhil grinned as he had a swig of the beer and cleared his throat. "And where the hell are the chatter queens? Weren't they supposed to be here by half-past five?"

Arnav hauled himself up after Akash handed him another bottle. He walked aimlessly towards the edge of the plateau of the Crooked Hill holding the bottle in his hand, his eyes steady at the horizon, watching the sun fall behind the line where the heavens met the earth.

"Bewde log! That's an early start to the party!" Anjali's shrill voice echoed the still air as she walked towards Akash and Nikhil who lay on a large picnic mat staring at the sky above them. A big icebox containing bottles of beers and a carry-bag laden with munchies sat next to it drawing her attention immediately. She glanced at Arnav and hollered. "O Majnu ji! Laila will be here any moment. Can you spend some time with us before we lose you to her for the night?"

Arnav felt his insides explode, but he didn't react to her at all, and it surprised Anjali for a moment.

Akash cleared his throat and managed to draw her attention to him. "So, continuing with the discussion, there was this girl who was a big fan of Arnav--what the hell was her name?" He snapped his fingers repeatedly in the air, closing his eyes, "Aradhana? Am I right, Arnav?" He glanced at Arnav, who stood with his rigid back facing him "She was a lost cause. She would always have questions, a hell lot of them, but she sought her answers only from our dear Arnav ji! Right, Arnav ji?" Akash asked teasingly. He looked at Anjali with a grin. "Some beer, Anj?"

"Haan ji.. and why some? Ration hai kya?" Anjali stuck out her tongue and giggled. She picked up the bottle from the box and saw Payal walking towards them alone.

"Hey, Shy Pi! You look good!" Anjali squealed, but her face quickly wore a slight frown. "Where is Khush? Weren't you meant to pick her up?"

"No. Arnav was supposed to --" Payal faltered as she glanced at Arnav.

Anjali looked at Arnav and saw him stiffen immediately. Her eyes met Akash's and then Payal's and found their puzzled faces staring at her.

"Arnav? Where is Khush?" Akash asked as he glanced at Payal once again.

"I am here." Khushi's voice reached them before her, a minute later. She stopped to glance at Arnav for a moment and tried to calm down her heart which was racing inside her chest uncomfortably.

"You look lovely, Sakhi" Payal said with a warm smile.

"Thank you." Khushi whispered as she walked towards them.